What kind of charcoal does everyone use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use Kingsford in the blue bag. I keep trying Royal Oak lump, but haven't been successful with it, yet. It's getting better as I try different combinations of lit/unlit and patterns. Royal Oak will eventually replace the Kingsford for me.

I use Royal Oak lump for BBQ and Sam's Choice for grilling . I tried Comp K when it first came out and liked it, but it is too expensive for me to use regularly.

If you are grilling with Comp K you will be fine, the high heat that you get from it is excellent, If you are smoking with it you may get an isuue with ash build up choking off the fire on long cooks.

right now best of the west.........$15 for 40 lbs. "ONO" is my favorite next to "the good one"

believe it or not I've been usin briqs from the local supermarket sold under Sur-Fine  its kinda like Best Choice and other store brands.  I've been very happy with it but I'm pretty easy to make happy.  I do have a bag of RO that I'm gonna try soon.

I use Kingsford Comp as well.  I think you will have a hard time finding a different charcoal that makes less ash without going to a lump.

Dave

I use a brand called Wicked Good Charcoal it's a very dense lump that burns a long time . It's a little costly at $23 a bag but by far the best lump I have ever used.

I use Basques lump charcoal. It's made from Sugar maple. Occasionally I'll use Maple Leaf which is a mix of Maple Birch and Beech, but I find that the bits can be rather small at times.

I use Ozard Oak that is made right here in Arkansas. I thing I pay 3.99 for 10lb sack. I use it for my green egg. On the big smoker back home I use good season oak with a burn barrel. Rick

cool.gif

Propane out the white bottle.

I use A large coffee can in my gas converted ecb with the opening covered in foil with A few holes poked in it. I end up with perfect charcoal lump, usually apple in my neck of the woods. After A few smokes I have enough for the weber. It is the best coal I have ever used and creates very little ash.

Last edited:
I use Best Choice lump, which is made by RO.  Have also used Kroger lump.  Don't know who makes it but it's ok.  I avoid briquets due to the amount of ash produced.

Right now it's RO or Blue bag for me, whatever is on sale. I tried the Brigford Comp and it's good and hot but expensive. I don't care about ash production I just sweep out my UDS before the next batch of smoked goodness.
icon_cool.gif

what coals have the least amount of ash
RO lump (American made) has produced the least amount of ash so far in my experience..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky