What is this????????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
I just bought some poultry cure from Allied Kenco. "Uncle Abe's Smoked Poultry Cure" item #81201. One of the ingredients is something that I have never heard of.

1-12 oz. bag of seasonings:
contains: salt,pepper,brown sugar & FOENUGREEK .......What the heck is this stuff????

Fenugreek is native to South Asia and Southeastern Europe but is now cultivated elsewhere, including North and East Africa, China, Greece and Ukraine. Fenugreek is a lesser known spice from the pea family and has many culinary uses.

Fenugreek seeds are golden with a smooth, angular shape and a hard surface that makes them quite difficult to grind. The flavor of fenugreek is sweet yet bitter with a hint of celery. Fenugreek is commonly used in Indian curries and breads from South Asia and Ethiopia. Fenugreek can be used in pickling to enhance the flavor of meats and vegetables. Use caution until you become familiar with fenugreek as too much can make a dish bitter. Dry roasting these seeds will bring out an aromatic, sweet flavor.

Thanks Richoso1, you really know your FOENUGREEK
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

fenugreek = fenugreek seeds = methi = halba Pronunciation: FEN-you-greek Notes: This adds an earthy flavor to curries, chutneys, and sauces. It's available as seeds or powder, and you can usually find it in Indian and Middle Eastern markets. If it's not available, just leave it out of the recipe.

http://www.foodsubs.com/SpiceInd.html

Just thought it was funny that is says "If it's not available, just leave it out of the recipe." What great advice.
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky