What is the science of smoked meat I mean after X amount of hours the smoke no longer matters.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tempnexus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
So what are those hours?! How long should we smoke for? I mean after specific amount the smoke does not penetrate and it just becomes bitter. So what is the perfect magic number?

mean after specific amount the smoke does not penetrate and it just becomes bitter.
-----
Can you point us to a scientific study to back up this statement?

mean after specific amount the smoke does not penetrate and it just becomes bitter.
-----
Can you point us to a scientific study to back up this statement?
None, just my own personal experience, I mean look at the smoke rings or anything else, there is a maximum penetration of at most 1 inch 2.5cm and beyond that I don't see it so at which point do we declare smoking done and cooking as the reminder? Or am I just plain old wrong? I don't know that's why I am asking.

It is very temperature and moisture dependent. After the surface of the meat reaches 140* not much smoke will adhere/absorb... UNLESS the meat is mopped/moistened again. This is an art pitmasters perfect.
This is why it is recommended to start with low temps to allow the smoke to adhere/absorb into the meat. I warm smoke my sausages 2.5~4 hours @ 120* to get good smoke on them, then slowly bump the temp up...unless I'm smoking andouille. Then I'll warm smoke the links 6~10 hours @120* pouring good smoke to them the whole time to get them good and dark, then step up the temp.

Reactions: hebs
When I'm smoking meat I let the smoke roll throughout the entire cooking process, or until I foil.
Maybe it's because a MES doesn't need added water, but just naturally maintains a moist environment. Maybe not. All I can say is that I've tried it both ways and MUCH prefer the meat that has been smoked as long as it was in the smoker.
Gary

I have a stick burner, so it's smoke the whole way, unless I foil.
Which I seldom do, unless I need to get the meat done in a hurry.
Al

In addition to the link to "that other smoking site," here is another site that has all sorts of interesting smoking science that should help give you an answer. As you will see, "it all depends ..."

Smoke Science

I'm another one who puts smoke on it all the time, unless I'm at the foil stage, except for the first hour or two if I'm using the heat to build a Pellicle. However I always use a Light TBS. (Usually Hickory)

Bear

Here is a good article. Red highlights in the article will take you to other informative articles.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...iring/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

Beat me to it! Anytime I want a "technical" or scientific answer for something smoking related I go to Meathead's site, he often has info from test done by labs etc. to backup the info.

That being said, We are smoking meats, not curing cancer, so don't over think it and just enjoy the process!

Reactions: phatbac
Another thing to consider is a well seasoned smokehouse... Smoke has over 100 compounds in it and a lot of it gets deposited inside the smokehouse. When the smokehouse heats up, some of these compounds volatilize and mix with the smoke from the wood source. This enhances the smoke absorbed by the meat. A clean smokehouse will not smoke the same as a well seasoned one.

Another thing to consider is a well seasoned smokehouse... Smoke has over 100 compounds in it and a lot of it gets deposited inside the smokehouse. When the smokehouse heats up, some of these compounds volatilize and mix with the smoke from the wood source. This enhances the smoke absorbed by the meat. A clean smokehouse will not smoke the same as a well seasoned one.
I agree Inda, that is why I'ii do 3 seasoning burns in a new smoker b4 using any meat, Just look at the changes in the color of the interior of the smoker cooking chamber after each burn in..Some like to spritz the cc with veg. oil b4 a seasoning burn,I don't, I would rather repeat process till you can tell by the darker color If smoker is seasoned properly.

Like I said above I keep the smoke going all the time, unless I'm getting pellicle, or in the foiled stage.

The important thing is that you don't get bitter taste from light smoke, no matter how many hours you smoke it.

However if you put heavy smoke on it, even for a relatively short time, it can give you terrible flavor!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky