What happened to Texas-Hunter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pantherfan83

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Evansville, IN
This guy used to reply in practically every topic and was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was a member of the OTBS. His name doesn't appear in the Member List anymore and I searched the forum for his posts and came up empty. I've noticed since the crash that there are a lot more noobs especially here in the Sausage thread (not that there's anything wrong with that). It just seems that there used to be a lot more posts from experienced users and qview of a broader variety of sausages rather than a lot of people asking about how to get started making sausage.

I don't understand why some people such as Texas-Hunter who were so active before the crash have stayed away since?

Also, I'll try to do a better job of posting qview of my smokes and sausage making as I have not recently posted any qview myself.

I think Ken still visits from time to time, as do I and a few others that were more active "pre-crash", But some of us have found other places to play and post along with SMF, and it is summer, and that means alot of outside time for alot of us.
icon_wink.gif

the capt pretty much nailed it. its a buzy time out with the days getting shorter already. lots to do that aint gotten done during this short summer.

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
and hunting season around the corner!!!

This keeps coming up so maybe it would be a good idea to just go ahead and post some of the "aftermath" so that it's all out in the open. Sometimes having things out in the open is better than having folks wondering away and coming up with ideas of their own that may or may not be true. JMO.
confused.gif

In that case, allow me to explain (lol)
Essentially smf crashed badly end of last year/beginning of this - one of those things, no blame :-)
Texas hunter kindly set up a new forum during the interim that a bunch of us moved to while smf was being repaired.
Americans being americans (ie: oversensitive and easily offended (lol))
Some of the people at smf resent/ed the new forum and there is some small amount of bad blood between various members.

Most of us still use smf and the new forum, there is a slight but very definite 'us and them vibe'.
Just ignore it - both forums are great :-)
Have to admit that I lost most of my smf posts in the crash and rather than going over old ground I preferred to start a new at s-m.
Still pop in here time to time, as do a lot of the other folks (I'm english, we aren't easily offended :-)
Some have moved solely to s-m some moved back to smf and some of us do both.

It's been a few months now so one would hope that the smf mods will allow this post to stand, as long as it doesn't offend anyone, of course ;-)

Might also be better moved to the general section ?

I agree with Lou.

Since I've been here, three other forums have spun off of this site.

All that Jeff has asked of us in the past is if you start your own forum....be kind enough to build your own member base. Do not recruit members from this site for your new forum. (seems reasonable to me)
If you do so...you will be banned here.

I'm not saying Texas did this... I wasn't part of the private messages concerning his situation.

Several disgruntled members moved on when Texas started his forum.
Several disgruntled members moved on when Debi started her forum
Several disgruntled members moved on when the Qjoint was started,

The site crash did irritate a lot of members. Some are still waiting for the forum to be restored before posting again.

With all that said,
This forum seems to keep going on and on, developing a new set of older members and experienced smokers from time to time, like a cycle.

Jeff has provided a nice place for everyone to exchange smokiing ideas... it's a great place for new smokers just starting out. There is a wealth of information here and the thing I like about it.. Everyone is welcome here.
Even ME.
biggrin.gif

Well said Jeanie. If anyone has more questions please pm me or the mods about it and we will explain if we can. Thanks guys for making this a great forum.

I agree with much that has been said. This is my favorite place but I too have an alter ego logo. Or is that I am just loco? I don't know. Stop rhyming and shut up. OK. OK .

I was here when two of the new forums formed. Lots of controversy when the QJoint was started. Not so much with Ken's site though. But a HUGE body of very valuable knowledge was lost in my humble opinion when the disgruntled members moved on.

But I do have a question for Brian or the mods. Could be handled in PM I guess but it is really not that controversial and I feel the answer would be helpful to all.

When the QJoint started and there was some members banned, I got the impression that you had to be careful what sites you mentioned here in posts or you too could be banned. I belong to 4 BBQ forums total and there is a lot of good information out there. But I have at times skipped replying to a thread here because I felt the best answer would be a link to another post at another forum but I was afraid to do that for fear that I would be banned.

Recently in a thread reply I linked to the Ugly Drum Smoker thread on the BBQ Brethren site because it is by far the most informative thread to be found on the Internet regarding UDSs and I felt that the original poster would greatly benefit by having access to the information. Nobody mentioned it to me so I guess the link was okay. If I were to link to a helpful post on one of the forums that spun off from here, would that be allowed or would I be reprimanded?

So my question is what is the policy concerning links to other forums in the context of answering a question?

SMF is a great forum and the first one that I joined. It has changed a lot in the year and a quarter or so that I have been here. I have learned so much here and I would like to continue to give back and share what I have learned when I can. But I would also like to feel that I am able to give the best information possible to the new users who may now be as frustrated as I was when I was starting out. If it wasn't for SMF, I would have turned the SnP into a grill and gave up on smoking.

Dave

well said by all Ken, Rich,Jeanie,Jeff and all on all forums have helped me out so thanks to all
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
:PDT_Arma taz_01_34:

Thanks.That explained any question a newer member,myself included, might have about this topic- which i did not understand before.

Good Luck to everyone.

What Jeanie said... I have not been very active since the crash but it is not the result of the crash. I have started a new business and can't seem to find the time I used to have to spend here. I lost somewhere around 400 posts...it happens get over it. TH was a wealth of info he is missed!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky