What Do You Use to Stuff Your ABTs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Kids were at the in-laws house for Thanksgiving but got around to us on Friday. Had SIL light a fire in the Weber while I prepared the ABT stuffing (Philly cream cheese, sour cream, Tajin, Sriracha, and extra sharp cheddar sticks). After washing, taking off the caps, and coring, I started to stuff them. It was NOT pretty.

I used the old ziplock bag with a corner cut off but I had a hard time getting the mix all the way to the bottom of the jalapeños. I had stuffing all over me, all over the peppers, and all over the rack. Trying to put bacon on that mess was even messier. Oh, they tasted GREAT - even SWMBO said so - but I could do without all the aggravation and clean up.

Sooooo . . . . . what ingenious tricks do you use to stuff your ABTs? I'm not talking about those that are sliced down the middle but the ones you uncap. I don't have a sausage maker; so that's out.

Anyone?

I usually just pre fry the bacon. Break it into pieces and stuff it down the middle with a piece of string cheese cut into quarters and in lengths long enough to fit in the jalapeños. I've also used pepperoni. It's all good!

Last edited:
Try using a toothpick to punch a hole or two in the bottom of the pepper so that you will not be trapping any air as you stuff. Also soften the cream cheese, microwave or sit out of fridge till nice and soft, shred the cheddar so your mix is nice and smooth.

Last edited:
Forgot that.....also let's moisture out of the pepper. I poke a large hole in the pepper bottom with a bamboo skewer if roasting them upright.

can't help ya out any as I slice mine in half... I use onion and chive cream cheese, shredded monteray jack, some of your fav. rub mixed in... top with a lil smokey and wrap in bacon....

As stated above, I like to par cook the bacon.

For filling?  As long as there is cheese in the mix?

I think it is just like an omelet?  Whatever your imagination produces.

But it is required that you post your victories for the rest of us to try?

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, Folks!

I was mostly asking about what tools you use to keep the stuffing process from being so damned messy (hollowed out center and cooked vertically). Pastry bags work but seem to be too much trouble. I'm gonna try that suggestion about punching a hole in the bottom to let air escape.

I picked up something yesterday that I'm going to try. It is a funnel that is about the same size from the top to the where the spout starts. The typical funnel that tapers rapidly from top to tip doesn't allow much in the way of ram action. I'm gonna cut a piece of plastic and attach a dowel rod to use as a ram on this little funnel. If it works, I'm gonna look for a larger one because I don't think it will hold enough filling for more than 3 or 4 ABTs.

Again, thanks for the input!

I think this was our way of telling you we don't use any fancy equipment. We just cram solid foods into the hole and throw them in the smoker

Abt= atomic buffalo turd

Last edited:
Try a Jerky Gun. You can use it for ABT's or even Jelly Donuts too, so it is a multi-tasker and worth the 20-$40 investment...JJ

jerky-gun-xl.jpg

I've used the pastry bag but find it to be a bit cumbersome and messy and clean up can be a pain. I've looked a cake decorating devices sold by Wilton and other such devices (never saw the Jerky gun before). The problem with most of these is that they have a narrow filling orifice or a very wide one that you have to keep sealed up (think pastry bag). I think I would find filling and cleaning the Jerky gun a PITA. What I'm looking for is something that has a wide filling orifice - like a funnel but without the sharp taper - and a narrow and relatively deep business end. Something like this (but not as large; this one is 15-1/2" wide):

It should be relatively easy to fashion a piston of sorts to push the stuffing right into the peppers.

Last edited:
This should get the job done. I found it and several others on Amazon...JJ

[h1]6" Stainless Steel Funnel w/removable Strainer Wide Mouth - Great Quality![/h1]

by Update International

Price:$7.49  

41RqW0nfslL._AA160_.jpg

I cut the cream cheese with a knife. Making sure it is still very cold. Cuts nice. Cream cheese, onions then chicken or little smokies. Shrinp works too. shake on your favorite rub some cheddar cheese then wrap with thin slice bacon...

Like Chef JJ mentioned I when I stuff from the top I use the jerky gun sometimes, or we have a smaller version that is used for decorating cakes, cookies that also works (use it for making fancy deviled eggs too).

For fillings Pulled pork, pulled smoked chicken, smoked bay shrimp, dungeness crab are all good proteins. I like to mix smoked pepper jack and cream cheese with chipotle, garlic, onion, maybe a bit of Parmesan on top, oh yeah! Yum! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky