What do you think about electric UDS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

easy rider

Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Hi guys!Thinking to make an electric UDS.In the bottom an electrical element and a plate with wood on it.I see such pozitive moments:easy temperature controll and regulation,no reason to sit near and watch.Thanks to all and sorry for mistakes.

Hi guys!Thinking to make an electric UDS.In the bottom an electrical element and a plate with wood on it.I see such pozitive moments:easy temperature controll and regulation,no reason to sit near and watch.Thanks to all and sorry for mistakes.

The UDS doesn't take much watching, and they can be pretty much set & forget. Plus run for hours.
Give it a try and let us know how you make out. I would think you would need a good size element to heat the barrel up.

I hope that 2 kw element is enough.It has 1200 F on its surface

This time of year it will probably work, but when cold temps and cold winds start, that thin sheet metal will lose heat fast.

If you have the barrel and the element, give it a test run and see how it heats up.  If it works, a water heater jacket will help with giving it a "winter coat"

For lower temp stuff like jerky, snack sticks and smoked sausage, electric under PID control is a dream.  If you can make it where you can convert it back and forth from conventional UDS to electric UDS, then you have the best of both worlds.  That is what I did with my WSM.  I had a spare door and mounted an electric element in the extra door.  All I have to do is switch the doors and I can either go electric in a e-WSM or conventional in a regular WSM.

But I still do a lot of conventional smokes for things like ribs, pork butts, fatties, etc....  I keep the electric to snack sticks, kielbasa and other sausage that is smoked over a number of hours at lower (below 160*) temps.

Thanks for your attention.What is the different betwean WSM & UDS?Sizes?Character of smoking?Inside temperature?In Russia its very easy to buy used drum big (for uds) and small (for wsm) so if Im going to smoke one or two turkish for my family,the better way is to do electric WSM.What do you think about?Thanks a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky