what do you do if you discover your sausage is not cooked through after an ice bath?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grilldad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Longview, WA.
Last night we smoked some sausage @ 160*-170* for 2.5 H. Reached an IT of 156*. I pulled then gave an ice bath and a bloom. We grilled a tester and it was delicious. But upon further inspection I saw that some links were touching and seemed not to be cooked, particularly at the point of contact. What do you do at this point? We are Thumbs Upgiving these as gifts and don't want anybody to get sick. My first thought was to put back in the smoker on racks at 170* till I hit 155* again. Help!!!!

Cured or uncured? That a real short time ( or a real small diameter sausage) to get to 156 with those temps. You might want to double check your Meat thermo

If the casings are touching the smoke wont adhere there and you will get white spots. Another option is to parboil in 180 degree water and take to 160 IT. Check your therms as Dan said

They are cured. I have a small smoker and they went in @ 70*. Im using a maverick thermometer and they are dead on. Could I just put them back in the smoker without smoke to bring them to temp?

you could but it might cause them to dry out some. I like Boykjo's idea of the simmering water bath to get them up to temp.

GD what did you decide to do??? pics??? I agree with Dan, short amount of time  My 19 - 22mm pepperoni sticks take 8hrs or so with temp never going above 170 in the smoker with IT of 152 I start at 120 or so and every hr to 1 1/2hrs bump up to 10* till smoker temp is 170 then waiting game till IT 152

But,,,,, I guess if you kept smoker at 170 the whole time it may get to that IT that fast I just have never tried that

Let us know

Simmering water bath or steam them. Either way, it's the best way to finish them without drying them out. I take my sausage to 152°...RTB....
439.gif

I just put them back in the smoker again at 170* till they where back up to 160*. Moisture loss was not an issue and turned out fantastic. I think it has something to do with the size of my smoker and the use of a water pan...now it time to package them up for the family.

beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky