What do I do with this filet mignon I bought?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chainsaw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Ponca City OK
New ground here-practically have never bought the filet mignon. Saw a whole one and had to have it. So after a couple good bacon-wrapped steaks, what is the best course for the rest of it? As you can see the chunks aren't (may not be) good steak sizes. New ground here-I'm thinking boudins? Just got a bunch of casings. I hate to grind it up but.. after nearly 60 years on the planet I WILL find something to do with them-only asking for special recipes if anyone has the time to contribute. Thanks.

eea5c1f5_Picture%20015.jpg

Last edited:
Well, since you've already done the traditional bacon-wrapped steaks, I don't see any reason for NOT grinding up the remainder and using it in a fattie.  OMG, that would be awesome!

just take the chunks and compress by rolling and then wrap w/ bacon. just as good as a full filet .

if yopu just want to grind it , grind w/ just a lil S&P and make yourself one of the best hamburgers you will ever have.

Sorry but theres no way I'd grind that
eek.gif
  Wrap them babies with bacon and enjoy the quality of that cut of meat

Sorry but theres no way I'd grind that
eek.gif
  Wrap them babies with bacon and enjoy the quality of that cut of meat
I am with Pineywoods... to good of meat to make into cheap hamburger. If anything i would wrap with Bacon and vacuum them and freeze for a month them gill/smoke again and relive the goooood taste!!!!

Last edited:
HAHA, I hear you, Jerry, but he's already wrapped the best parts of the cut with bacon and made some steaks.  I say grind up the remainder and make the best fattie that you will ever have.  Just my opinion, of course.

Don't grind them.. Please!

Take those tidbits and stuff them in a red, yellow or orange bell pepper. Put the things over some grill heat to roast the pepper, then move them to indirect heat until the center reaches 130-135. You could do this with a bacon wrap just like a popper or ABT.

Slice and enjoy..

Last edited:
you know this needs some research,    why dont you send it to me and ill figure out something to do with it!!

Some skewers would be awesome. Some pineapple, mater, bell pepper, onion, a quick sizzle on the grill with some mesquite and on the plate.
icon_cool.gif

cool.gif

Now I'm really thinking here and I like the skabob way (Meateater) and then I like the saute method of Pete (pit 4 brains) then you could make some tacos or rittos with alittle lettuce and maters an japs to top it off. Well I'm even thinking maybe grind iot like Jerry said and make some meatballs with some cheese inside with a bacon wrap. I forgot what Jeff (Rio Grande) called them things.  

Stir fry. Makes great peppersteak. Always used them at the restaurant. Way too good to grind or a fatty.

What a waste that would be.

Lot of great ideas and a neat Pug.  Now I am really confused and you all have been very helpful. Thanks again for you input. I will post some pictures whatever we decide to do with it.
biggrin.gif

I had some like that after I trimmed up a whole tenderloin a little while back. Being a southern gal I pounded them down a little, rolled them in some seasoned flour and fried them all nice and crispy, then I made some saw mill gravy and put on top, yummy. Country fried steak at its finest. I have to do that again, real soon, like tomorrow.

I like Ron's stir-fry idea, and I like Cheryl's country fried steak idea, but I *REALLY* think that you should grind it down and make a fattie.  While no one here will agree with me about this, it would be the most awesome fattie ever!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to pics of what ever you decide to do with it.
smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky