What chuck roast for pulled beef?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rosencra38

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Muskegon, MI
I know I asked this before but it got lost during the crash. Anyway, I'd like to smoke up a chuck roast for pulled beef sandwiches but when I go into SAM's I see multiple different types of chuck roasts (eyes, rounds, etc.,). So I come to the gods of smoke to see which one I need to get for my smoke. Thanks in advance.

I am a little confused. There are chuck roasts which are from the shoulder and then there are round roasts from the hind quarter. The rounds could be eye of round, top round, bottom round. For pulled beef I would stick with the chucks since they have a lot more fat and connective tissue that breaks down during the long slow cook. The rounds are a lot leaner and are better for slicing, imho.

Maybe I was reading things incorrectly then. I plan on stopping by Sams again on my way home tonight.

On a side note I did see they had a twin pack of pork butts on sale for around $22. I might have to pick up one of them to keep in the freezer for a while.

Usually chuck roasts are just called chuck roasts...at least that's the way it is at my Costco and Fred Meyer (Kroger) here in Seattle. Rounds, Eyes, etc. are usually labeled as such. One thing I have noticed is that it's tough to get a big chuckie, i.e. 5 lbs. or so. Most are in the 2-3 lb. range...they still taste good, though.

Good luck.

I just did one last night, it was marked Chuck Shoulder Roast, just under 2 pounds. I wanted the first one to be small, so I could get a feel for how they are done. It was fantastic, maybe better than brisket? Here's a couple pics.
5917ac6d_vbattach20699.jpg

c2883b90_vbattach20700.jpg

Awesome guys, thanks for all the replies. Since they do tend to be on the smaller side how much do you think I would need to feed a crew of around 10 guys?

GUYS or guys?..........I would guess???? about 1/2 pound per person. At least when I'm ready to eat some beef that's about what I consume.

Definitely GUYS. The guys I work with have devoured a whole smoked turkey in less than 10 minutes.

Thanks for the help.

I use a chuck eye roast (it's usually from the front shoulder of the cow). They go from 2-3 1/2 pounds each. (I keep kosher and this is an ideal kosher meat to smoke).

I marinate mine in Allegro Gold Buckle Brisket Marinade. Cook it to 200+ (210-220 internal is ideal); wait 15 minutes to settle the juices then pull with two large forks!

YUM!!!!!!

Michael

I prefer chuck rolls or shoulder clods. They are large and boneless 12-25 lbs each. They are foolproof and tastier than brisket.

that one was 14 lbs, and heres what it pulls like. after 12 hrs at 250-265. 1-2 hr rest(very important)

From Wikipedia:

The beef clod or shoulder is one of the cheapest cuts of beef and is taken from the shoulder region of the cattle. This is why it is sometimes called chuck or shoulder clod. Beef clod consists of a large muscle system and some fat that covers the muscles. Beef clod can be prepared in a variety of methods both dry and moist, but the most recommended method to cook beef clod is to cook it with moist heat or braising. Long slow smoking also provides exceptional results.

Darn butchers have too many names for the same thing, and the same name for different things sometimes too...

Thought the good folk at the Cattlemen's association wouldn't mind helping us keep it all straight by posting a chart they've put out
icon_smile.gif

As Alton would say, them's all good eats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky