What are your favorite gadgets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pigtail gets used daily, therms get used every other day or more. Inkbird treats me good so far.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I completely forgot, too. Good reminder. I was skeptical about the Jaccard until I saw that a lot of very famous chefs use them. I use it before I brine chicken breasts for later grilling. Fantastic combo. For those of you who have never heard of a Jaccard, here’s a picture:

16B8F83C-E34B-4DE4-A7CC-9B24CD1B0CF0.jpeg

Therma pen, gets used on damn near every cook, that and stainless steel hotel pans and Cambro plastic storage tubs in various shapes and sizes for either cooking in or transporting food from the grill into the house.

Last edited:
I even got the wife using one in the kitchen ... She can't believe things are done (by temp) so quick after cooking all these years by time ...
My wife can't boil water without a timer, so I cook, and she cleans, which is perfect for me. I love cooking and hate cleaning. I have at least four Therma pens, I keep one outside hanging on my smoker, and one next to the oven, and one in my camping gear box and a spare to take with me when I'm cooking away from home.
Actually five, I have one in the 5th wheel trailer as well. I'm not a fan of the Inkbird pens, they seem to be made cheaply, and they are slow and clunky too me, Therma brand all the way for me!!!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Therma pen, gets used on damn near every cook, that and stainless steel hotel pans and Cambro plastic storage tubs in various shapes and sizes for either cooking in or transporting food from the grill into the house.

I've been thinking about this, since you woke me up to it.

I use mine for a "tenderness" probe, for all meats, and as a "meat hook" for chicken thighs. (I pick up my thighs from the grate and put them on the serving platter with it. No need to dirty a second tool.)

It's a pretty versatile tool.

I gave each of my kids an instant read pen (not Therma) when they went to college. Daughter loves it. Son hasn't found his inner cook, yet.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Dremel Versa. Got it to clean the shower since it is rechargeable and water resistant. I find the extra-abrasive pads work well for grates and the last bit of burned on stuff that soaking and a wire brush won't get off.

Reactions: bauchjw
I completely forgot, too. Good reminder. I was skeptical about the Jaccard until I saw that a lot of very famous chefs use them. I use it before I brine chicken breasts for later grilling. Fantastic combo. For those of you who have never heard of a Jaccard, here’s a picture:

View attachment 522525
Never heard of that, I usually just pound the ever living sh_ _ out of the meat with a mallet, but some times it makes it too thin. I just ordered 2 of these. This site is almost as bad as my Jeep forum for emptying my pocket :emoji_laughing:

Good call on the vortex Colin. I've got one too and like it a lot.

Nice looking timer. Have you got a link to it?
one eyed jack one eyed jack
Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for asking. I purchased the timer from Ace Hardware. Looked for a link on Amazon and didn't find it there. I just love the strong magnet on the back, works great on the Performer.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Here’s another one I just remembered as I went into my garage fridge. This is a computer fan. It’s small as you can see in comparison to garage fridge beer. I use it on the fridge door shelves to circulate air. It comes in handy when trying to form a pellicle or using Umai Dry bags. It’s great for dry aging beef. I never blow it directly on the meat but aim or move it elsewhere just to keep the air moving. It’s easy to close the door on the cord. Got it on Amazon. The price even went down $2 from a couple years ago. Search for “AC Infinity Axial 9238.” It’s $18. Never gets dusty because I keep it in the fridge. But it probably smells like meat and cheese.

F5504DDA-2AA8-4DE0-98C4-6FC8DCFCA0B0.jpeg

I look forward to seeing your carved spoons.
Not really where I was heading , but this is where I ended up .
Didn't take any pics until I was a ways into it .
Band saw and some gouge work .
20220206_193731.jpg
It was all hand work from there . I use that little file a lot .
Give you a feel for the curves . Shaped the handle and the bowl .
20220206_203818.jpg
20220206_215145.jpg
Inside was still rough , but I oiled it to see what stood out on the outside .
After seeing it in the morning , I like it . I like the rough look in the bowl .
I used to purposely distress tables to make them look old .
20220207_101128.jpg
20220207_101156.jpg
Wasn't sure what I was going to use it for , but I checked it and it's dead on with a 1/4 cup measure . I do Pop's brine at a half cup , so this might work good for that . I'll keep it with my brine buckets . Be great for reaching into the bag of sugar .

Nice!!!
I like that it's not thin, like store-bought wooden spoons, like the ones we have, and all those I've ever seen.
Nice Job Rich!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky