What are neck ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bman62526

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Decatur, IL
My uncle raises hogs and my father went in on one a couple months ago, had it processed and loaded up his freezer.

I was visiting my folks in Eastern Iowa and he sent me home with some loins, shoulder roasts, hams, a BUNCH of fresh brats, and 3-4 packages of "neck ribs" What the hell are neck ribs and should I bother smoking them?!?

Thanks.

Well, I don't know - except there were other packages marked "Country Style Ribs" so it must mean something other than that - at least in the Midwest anyway.

that must be the case - perhaps a regional name? i am just guessing then that they are a little higher up the shoulder (picnic is above the knee, butt is above the picnic and neck ribs must be above the butt?) but do not know for sure.

I just did a search and all I could come up with was neck bones which are used in some sauces. Not meant for smoking I wouldn't believe.

Just aft of the neck is the shoulder and there's backbone and ribcage that comes off the butt portion. If you leave a little meat on them then these are 'neck ribs'; they're between the actual neck and the rib end of the loin; the bony portion under the label 'Pork Butt'. Alternatively, you can also make some out of the lower portion under the 'Pork Shoulder' label.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky