What about this idea for spraying without lifting the lid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cromag

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Sevierville Tennessee
I think I found a great way to spray my meat while leaving my lid closed and avoid the temp spike. A hand held 2 liter spray pump with a long nozzle to get it inside the vent. What do you all think???

Sounds like a good idea. I would test the spray pattern with just the lid. Have someone hold the lid for you the same distance above a newspaper as from your food. Spray and see where the mist hits the paper.If it works you will see the pattern on the paper.You might have to sdjust how hard you spray and how many times.

I think I found a great way to spray my meat while leaving my lid closed and avoid the temp spike. A hand held 2 liter spray pump with a long nozzle to get it inside the vent. What do you all think???

I like the idea....necessity is the mother of all invention. However, if your posing this idea because of the need to reduce the spike in temp, then doesn't that mean there might be a bigger underlying issue. .........I don't know I'm still trying to figure all this out.

I like the idea....necessity is the mother of all invention. However, if your posing this idea because of the need to reduce the spike in temp, then doesn't that mean there might be a bigger underlying issue. .........I don't know I'm still trying to figure all this out.
My UDS seems to get a burst of oxygen when I open the lid even though I close my caps and valves before opening the lid. When that happens it then becomes a struggle getting the temps back down. I feel using this sprayer in the vent eliminates most of the temp spikes, I'll get a temp when I open the lid to insert the probe but when I get that one under control I can let it shut. I don't foil my meat so I wouldn't have to open my lid but once unless I'm also smoking ribs

Any reason not to just put a big water pan above the fire or smoke inlet?  May help moderate your temps as well as put additional humidity into the smoke. 

I would be concerned that you would get the gunk on the sides of the drum or lid of the drum all wet and drip some ugly stuff all over your food but if that doesn't happen then you have a good idea!

Al

My UDS seems to get a burst of oxygen when I open the lid even though I close my caps and valves before opening the lid. When that happens it then becomes a struggle getting the temps back down. I feel using this sprayer in the vent eliminates most of the temp spikes, I'll get a temp when I open the lid to insert the probe but when I get that one under control I can let it shut. I don't foil my meat so I wouldn't have to open my lid but once unless I'm also smoking ribs

Any reason not to just put a big water pan above the fire or smoke inlet?  May help moderate your temps as well as put additional humidity into the smoke. 

I would be concerned that you would get the gunk on the sides of the drum or lid of the drum all wet and drip some ugly stuff all over your food but if that doesn't happen then you have a good idea!

Al
Cromag, I think Al may have a point in using a heat diffuser, I use a 14" Terra cotta (clay) saucer. I took the idea of a water or sand pan and just went with the foiled lined clay saucer (I stayed away from a pan with water because of the creosote possibility. It seems to help when I have to remove the lid for any reason, usually no more than a minute or two and my temps are fine. However, if you've noticed my fire pit design, the exterior of the FPDS is well insulated with landscaping bricks.

I used water pans before and I still got a jump in temp. My last couple smokes I didn't use the pans and the meat was still moist and the bark wasn't so soft, but then again I also quit foiling at 160 and that I suppose makes a harder bark. The design of the nozzle (pic from that link) is long enough to get it inside well past the dome so dripping off the lid shouldn't occur and I'm not worried about coating the sides since the food doesn't touch it and using a normal spray bottle also sprays the sides. I do feel if you don't pump too much pressure into the sprayer it shouldn't blast out too hard in the front when keeping the nozzle set on mist not stream. I'll let you all know the next time I smoke and use this

Speaking about the mother of invention. 

I have used the same method for spritzing when cooking in my drums, but.

I want to buy a couple airless paint sprayer tips and mount them in the lid of my drums. 

The idea is to hold the pump up sprayer against the paint nozzle and hit the trigger, wa-laa the spritz is done. 

I just haven't had the time to try it.

The bottle sounds like a good option but I got to hear more on this mounting sprayer nozzle idea...JJ

Last edited:
Well its gonna be a while before I can try it, unless work dies off. But now I have been thinking, (very dangerous) I've been working on my diesel pickup, by late summer I will replace the injectors. Now I'm thinking to try something with brake line and spray tips, make it look like an injector system on a car or truck.

Bend and install all the lines and spray tips, then mount a pressure tank away from the heat. Pump it up and then have a simple 90* on and 90* off valve.

Done deal, spray all shelves at the same time with a fine mist.

I guess I think too much!!!!

Sounds like your putting lip stick on a pig!  Ugly Drum Smoker with fuel injectors and stainless steel brake lines,  One of the wonderful things about a UDS is their simplicity. 

Can't wait to see the results, a couple of coats of high temp paint and you'll have a High Faluten Drum Smoker 
biggrin.gif

I didn't read where it was food grade safe. I wonder if that would be an issue? There may be chemicals that are used in the plastic that could leach in to your food? Don't know, but would check in to it first. Hell of a good idea though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky