What’s Your Avatar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’ve always been curious about random things that most people don’t think twice about. Personalized license plates I can’t understand drive me crazy. Since Joining SMF I’ve spent a little too much free time pondering your Avatars and why you picked those pictures to represent you amongst this group. Some of you probably didn’t think twice, others may have an interesting personal story, but I’d greatly appreciate hearing either! If anything it will free up some mental Bandwidth!

For me, I joined SMF after a long deployment to Africa where I was training the Liberian Engineers. Over few day break, me and a few other guys grabbed some surfboards (one from Peace Corps & one brought in with our gear) and drove up the coast for a few days surfing at empty breaks and Robertsport. My Avatar picture was taken somewhere along that time. It was my 6th deployment and first one that didn’t involve Iraq or Afghanistan so it felt pretty special. A unique experience, surfing West Africa. When I joined SMF it was the picture that I figured captured my happy place at the time. Now it would be something different, but I don’t want to confuse people🤣

Ok, I hope you share your story. Again, Merry Christmas!!!🎄

Mine comes from a Mad Men website a few years ago where you could create your own cartoon character that fit in to the Sterling-Cooper firm. It is actually a pretty good representation of me.

First my avatar was a picture of my wooden smokehouse, then there was a discussion about military members who have served and although I never did serve, my wife did with the Navy in the VF-124 squadron which was a training squadron for Top Gun. She was an AO and loaded ordnance on F-14 Tomcats, damn cool job. I’ve been to her reunions and the people are all amazing folks, drink a little heavy and have to be herded home at night, but outstanding folks just the same, and since I’m a huge military fan as well as an F-14 fan I use the VF-124 logo as my avatar, really just to show respect.

That thing over my lip is a mustache. Hank Hill doesn't have one. :emoji_wink: PV 2013 036 - Copy.JPG

Mine is Bianca the Beagle, the center of our existence. From day one when I started learning to smoke meats, she was always there to make sure things went according to plan. Tracy would come out and ask "are you making sure daddy does it right?". She has been by my side for countless hours as the meat was getting happy. That pic was taken probably 12 years ago. She doesn't look like that any more but she is still the sweetest little thing on the planet.

Robert

I had to go check what mine actually was! But I changed it...was our 3 tractors I has spent all day cleaning and powerwashing. Changed it to my 2 girls...best friends and always together...and such a joy to have in our life! Pup is just too darn cute...

20221223_123419.jpg

Ryan

Mine has changed, from the little black pig smoker, copper pot, to the CS smoker build family.... to the current one which is a fire pic from the X-Fire Grill my boy and me built.

Little Black Pig
E750075A-085D-4B9B-9EF5-230CF16D1DD5.jpeg

The Copper Pot
ED17C786-8EBB-426C-8646-546C57B43246.jpeg

The CS smoker build family
FA6A11BE-3C28-441A-92DD-1E759DD0B65C.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky