Went to a Q Contest today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lugnutz

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Lawson Mo
Neighboring town held a Q contest this weekend, so I went down and checked it out.  It was interesting to a point.  Lotta WSM being used but only one team had UDS smokers and they were using 3 of em.  The guys with the lesser investment seemed to be enjoying themselves more and more willing to talk about Q than the guys with the monster rigs.  Also noticed Kingsford was the brick of choice, and lump was hard to find. 

Wife got to sample some chicken and I got a niblet of a rib to gnaw on.  Wife then said my chicken was better !!!  Maybe next year I'll drag the uds down to the contest and give it a whirl.

I'd hate to be a judge ( the eating part would rock ) and have to pick a winner, everything looked good!

I just looked it up online  175 bucks to enter !!! wow
eek.gif
  they had quite a few entries tho. It was interesting to look at all the rigs and see what fuel they were using.  Some of the people were great to talk to others, not so much..and then there were the ones that you could tell you weren't goin get a howdy from if you tried.  I got a pic of a unique lid handle for a UDS but it is on my cell so I'll have to wait till I go to town to email it to my pc ( no service in the sticks ). They used deer antlers, scope rings and a used 270 Win case!!

I'll be looking forward to the photo and all parts are in stock. Been saving crappy scope rings that I will never mount on a rifle again for no reason.....now I may have one !!!

I'll try to get the pic off my phone tomorrow when I go to town  it was the only pic I took LOL

Sounds like you had a pretty decent time Lug. Sept 24 and 25 is the contest we attend in Shawnee Ks. It starts on fri morning and ends with judging on sat afternoon. There should be over 100 teams there, so there is plenty to look at for several hours. This year is going to be a alot of work for us this year since we are doing a b day party for a friend. I think we are at almost 100 people so far. May not even be time for a cold drink, I hope thats not the case tho.

I know its a ways for ya, but if you happen to be out and about drop on by.

And all  you can do about the jerk smokers is ignore them, they started smoking just like everyone else and they have forgotten where they came from. Unless of course they came from big money, then theres no helping them anyways, most likely.

I'll have to see if I'm free that weekend, I'm hoping to have a new job by that time and weekends off will be rare. 

Pic of a rig wife took ( she took it to get me to come down and check out the Q Comp )

7c267bc3_downsized_0821001012.jpg

Picture of the UDS lid handle

1e849f02_210810112230-01.jpg

Lugnutz, that is quite the unique lid handle. You have the wheels in my head spinning now !!! Thanks for the PM and for posting the pic.

Judging is a hard job, but somebody has to do it!

I've only been judging for a year now, but I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!!

Already "certified" by KCBS and the North Carolina Pork Council, and will be attending the judging training by the Memphis Barbecue Network  the Friday after next in Charlotte, NC.

Great looking lid handle!

I'd be a horrible judge!  Sorry can I have seconds I can't remember which one I liked best!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky