Went all in on the mailbox mod.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Good looking MB on your GOSM. I use the tube smokers in my GOSM. Both directly in the pit and in the mailbox. The tubes will work in the pit as long as the pit temp is below 285°f. Above that the pellets will ignite and burn instead of smoldering. This time of year I can put the tube right in the pit for cold smoking as it only raises the ambient temp 10°f-15°f in the pit. Which I actually need because its been in anywhere from -8°f to 30°f here. Without the heat I'd be smoking in a freezer! During the summer months I use the mailbox for cold smoking.
I'm thinking I need to pick up a tube or two as well as the maze. Here in Utah were hovering around 20 degrees so I might need a little heat in the smoker as well. Saturday is supposed to be a 40 degree heat wave so I was going to try some more cheese.

Looks great. Are those elbows galvanized? 
You do not need to worry about using galvanised components in either hot or cold smokers so long as they do not come in direct contact with the food. Some people choose to avoid it completely but (other than reposts of posts on forums) there appears to be no credible evidence or any official warnings that galvanised components should be avoided.

Yeah, for cold smoking it won't be a problem. I have the identical smoker, converted to NG. I have a mailbox mod now with the mailbox attached directly to the smoker but want to add some ducting to let the smoke cool before entering the box. I'm only using it for cold smoking at the moment, but may want to hot smoke in it again some day, so trying to find something that isn't galvanized.
So true. I agree with you. I have read a lot of articles which described the dangers caused by galvanized steel. You'll have to be very careful while selecting the materials. Make sure that it is not galvanized because it contains zinc which can become toxic if consumed in large amounts. If you use this for hot smoke, then the zinc may get vaporized and ends up on the surface of your food. 

So true. I agree with you. I have read a lot of articles which described the dangers caused by galvanized steel. You'll have to be very careful while selecting the materials. Make sure that it is not galvanized because it contains zinc which can become toxic if consumed in large amounts. If you use this for hot smoke, then the zinc may get vaporized and ends up on the surface of your food. 
Have you seen any formal guidelines or evidence of this. The only FDA guidelines say that the zinc components must not come in direct contact with the food. Everything else I see online appears to be re-posts of re-posts until it has reached urban legend status.

A little internet research, I'm not a doctor so.....

Farm animals water troughs are galvanized steel. Cattle feeding pens are made from galvanized steel.

If we get a cold we are told to take high doses of zinc. My Brother in Law IS a Dr. ,that's what he told us to do.

Zinc should not be welded because it creates zinc fumes (zinc oxide) which can cause flu like symptoms.

Galvanized steel should not come in contact with food, too high Alkaline / Acidic can release the zinc from Galvanization.

The recommended daily allowance of zinc for men is 11mg , women 8mg.

Don't lick the elbows to get your daily allowance of zinc.

My opinion, which is worth nothing, is this;

Once smoke has created a layer over the Galvanized elbows, the zinc should  be encapsulated.

Encapsulation is the standard protocol for asbestos that cannot / should not be removed.

Zinc melts at 787 F.  The temperatures the elbows are exposed to are substantially less, any zinc that may be "picked up" by passing smoke molecules would most likely be vented out with the rest of the smoke. The amount deposited on the food would be less than the recommended daily allowance.

This is just my opinion. Like Sargent Shultz "I Know NOTHING!".

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky