Well insulated smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr bonejangles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hello, i am looking for advice on my first charcoal smoker. I am looking for a starter smoker, but something i can keep as i advance my smoking knowledge

I also would need a well insulated smoker as where I am from yes we have hot summers but we can have temperatures in the winter which on cold days can dip below -20 Celsius which is -4 degrees farenhiet

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Move some where warmer
icon_mrgreen.gif

I smoke all winter long and have great success even if it is -20. I do have a smoke shack that is very well insulated but I also have two other smokers that aren't insulated at all. One is a UDS and I have no problem smoking in very cold weather. The other is a GOSM which is a propane rig and I have had good success smoking in below zero temp with that as well. Are you familiar with a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker?) if not do a search in this form and also on google. They are very cheap to build and run like a dream. I love mine and use it all the time year round. I burn lump charcoal and or Charcoal Briquettes. I can run it for 15-20 hours on one basket.

Gut a water heater and place a WSM inside it. I have zero experience with that kind of ridiculous weather, so maybe build a small shack that you can heat by fire or propane, then smoke inside of it..

I use a propane gosm, but from what I've heard here and from what I've read, you might want to get a wsm, Jeff just did a post on this the other day, look it up, and that will help ya. But I do think the advice on moving someplace warmer was funny.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the help everyone. Northern Greenhorn I just read through Jeff's post and it was very informative. I also found there are many more rave reviews of the wsm online.

With a few more clicks i found out i can get it nearby

Did anyone know in Ontario we have the worlds largest barbecue and grill showroom??? Guess I have a trip to take this weekend to look at one in the flesh

Another vote for the WSM. You don't need a insulated jacket for using it in cold weather just get a windbreak. It's not the cold that will steal your heat on cold days it's the wind.

+1 for the WSM, handled sub zero air temps and windchills with no problem.

Although I did enjoy starting my smoking life with a cheapo offset, and a propane smoker and what they taught me. I now really appreciate the WSM, and the bbq it puts out, & the steady temps.

good luck with your purchase.

What meatmopper said. I have a stumps it is very well insulated and uses very little fuel. It works great on colorado on cold weekend days.
Stumps is pricey and has a long lead time after you order,each one is built to order.

Mike

moving to warmer weather is an option I like too

Thats some great info thanks guys, i am going to check out some smokers this Saturday to start getting a better idea of what I am looking at

Some great ideas there with the wind blocks and insulation as well for the WSM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky