well i bought an offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cody27

Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Aldergrove BC Canada
I assume this is the place for new guy introductions so here goes

ive always loved BBQin and dabbled in smoking a little with my brothers little chief smoker but never done anything more than salmon or trout as ya cant really get much in those things and not being able to afford a new large unit ive been browsing the classifieds this spring and finally came across this cheap (i assume offshore) offset smoker from real canadian superstore that unfortunately i can find anything whatsoever info wise on the smoker but ive been researching and plan to do the main mods as i am more then able to fabricate damn near anything i put my mind to and i got the tools to do so, so the plan is to take this cheap smoker ($50 used/$75-$200 new from what i found depending on when it was bought) and beef it up to something that is plenty capable.

ill post up some pictures tomorrow once i clean it and maybe you guys may have come across it and could give some insight, if not oh well.

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. Congrats on the new smoker. Post those pictures and more than likely somebody here can tell you what kind it is and maybe even some more info. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome Friend

I am excited to see these pics of your smoker. Glad you joined us, But not as glad as you will be. I love these people and they have the best recipes , help and attitude on the net. Welcome Again Friend

Welcome aboard Cody!  Congrats on the smoker acquisition!  You'll find a ton of information on here and a lot of great folks who are more than willing to help out.  

Ok so now that the temperature outside has drops below 30'C ive had time to vacuum the cob webs and ash out of the thing and aside from expected surface rust on the inside it seems pretty solid.

so heres some shots of it

08aea6df_DSCN2332.jpg

2dda7ce4_DSCN2329.jpg
b52e1939_DSCN2322.jpg

8b3b3821_DSCN2331.jpg

Items that it came with include:

*Decent cover

*4 stainless grilles for smoke chamber [ 2-Top 2-Bottom ]

*2 grilles for fire box [ 1-top 1-bottom ]

*2 wood chip pans

and the previous owner modified the fire box for a propane burner but it comes out easily enough but ill be cleaning up the install for sure if i decide to keep the burner in there.

going to add some bracing to the legs as they feel pretty flimsy when moving it around, possibly grab some better wheels as it has the typical 5cent plastic ones and im going to have to figure out how to make the overall setup more air tight so to say as there is a noticable gap around the firebox door, the main lid is slightly bowed and i think i can fix it be adding some sort of extra hinge to the middle.

also the drip/oil tray is a joke that is maybe 3.5"x3.5" and 3/4" deep [that was plenty full]so im going to cut a hole in it so that a soup can will fit.

as for heat distribution in the cooking chamber i havent decided which route i will go

*Fire Bricks

*Tuning plates

*Convection plate [ i think thats what it was called...plate with gradually increasing holes drilled in it ]

and lastly i will be getting 2 thermometers for it as the one in there now is a joke that just says [ WARM , IDEAL , HOT ] and to finish it off ill restain the handles and boards and get new stainless hardware.

any input is much appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I would keep the propane setup but I think you need a cover over the burner to protect it from the ash falling into it

Thanks Cody

That is a beautiful thing. I am very happy for you. This is an addiction you can't get away from. And trust me you don't want to. I been doing it 33 years and everytime is like the first time. I do different things almost everytime.And you can't lose. Smoking is better then anything I have ever done. Again congrats on that beautiful smoking lady you have.

looks like you got a nice cooker there.  like pineywoods said i would keep the propane set-up as an option. but looks like you got a good deal.

Welcome to the forum. Nice find. As stated above jeep the porpane setup but cover it and use it as a log starter. :-)

Throw on a decent thermometer and some paint. Then thow on some butts!

well little bit of effort and it already looks much better, i sanded down all the wood and re-stained it, cut a hole in the grease tray so i could attach a soup can to it so i dont have to worry bout over flow, cleaned all the nasty out of the insides, replaced most of the hardware with new quality stuff and repainted the firebox as the paint had burnt off the bottom and i wanted to stop that surface rust before it got any farther.

got a few more things to do before im happy with it but i have a question for you guys about leaks, the fire box is removable and sort of locks into some holes and doesnt create any kind of seal between the firebox and the cooking chamber and you can see light between them so i am sure its going to leak like a sieve and my first thought for sealing it was exhaust wrap inbetween but im not sure i want automotive products around my food so i figured id see what you guys have used to seal off leaks.

thanks

Last edited:
well little bit of effort and it already looks much better, i sanded down all the wood and re-stained it, cut a hole in the grease tray so i could attach a soup can to it so i dont have to worry bout over flow, cleaned all the nasty out of the insides, replaced most of the hardware with new quality stuff and repainted the firebox as the paint had burnt off the bottom and i wanted to stop that surface rust before it got any farther.

got a few more things to do before im happy with it but i have a question for you guys about leaks, the fire box is removable and sort of locks into some holes and doesnt create any kind of seal between the firebox and the cooking chamber and you can see light between them so i am sure its going to leak like a sieve and my first thought for sealing it was exhaust wrap inbetween but im not sure i want automotive products around my food so i figured id see what you guys have used to seal off leaks.

thanks
I took some Hi-temp silicone and smothered the seam where the smoker box attaches to the main chamber.  It dried clear, so I didn't have to worry about it looking crappy.  This will work along the welded sections too, and any other misc. holes that are there. 
Also look at putting in a baffle to spread out the heat inside the smoker, but you may have done that already.

All together it sounds like you are well on your way to having a great smoker and lots of good eats ahead of you. 

Pictures are always good too!

Welcome aboard!

yea at the moment im just trying to decide whether i want tuning plats or just one plate with holes that gradually increase in size towards the far end but ill see when i get my thermometers in either end and go from there

Last edited:
one task down and a few more to go, went to a local store that specializes in fireplaces, ovens BBQs and such and found what i needed to fill the gap its a graphite/fiberglass braid that they use mainly for glass in ovens and fire places and it wont burn and was easy and cheaper than silicone, so for $14 @ 5' and about 5minutes of my time it should be good to go

now on with some pics

a85253e2_fire%20rope%202.jpg

4fb529ad_grease%20trap%202.jpg

and there it is restained wood and shiny new hardware now i just need 2 thermometers and im ready to start cooking

f02a98fd_cleaned%20up.jpg

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Great lookin smoker you got! I used the same kind of webbing for a seal on my firebox and it has worked well.... I think it works better where it is not being opened and closed a lot, so I put hi temp silicone around my main smoker door... put a good smooth even bead around the smoker then lay a piece of saran wrap over it and close the lid and let it set up, then the saran wrap peels off and leaves a custom fit gasket.. I used this same thing on an old pickup door weather gasket and it works fantastic and by using black silicone with saran wrap over it, the final job looks very professional as long as you have a helper and use rubber gloves and don't get it all over the place... you can use a razor blade to do the final trimming the next day.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky