Well I am a newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikedero

Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
hi all my name is Mike and I am form CT

I just picked up 2 Brinkmans charcoal smokers ECB's one at a tag sale and one brand new. and decided to leap into it. I bought 2 books and downloaded a ton of things today.

I plan on spending most of tomorrow smoking away. I bought a bunch of pork to pratice with. I am trying a fwe different things

one I put with a basic brine salt, sugar, and coke a cola

One a dry rub that I BBQ'ed with

one I will rub with mustard and dry rub

I even have a bunch of fish stripedbass and bluefish that I will try a fwe different things with. I have a culinary arts background so i came up with a few mods to some recipes.

Better yet tomorrow night I have a birthday party to go to that I plan on letting them sample what i smoked so that i can get their take on it. I tend to be a little harsh with my own cooking.

Nice site and I will post pics Monday

Welcome to SMF. If you havent already sign up for the 5 day smoking course. Its free and very handy.
Lots of great folk here with lots of info. So most of any questions yo have some1 here has the answer.

Mick

Glad ya joined us. This place is more helpful than those books ya bought (IMHO). As Mick mentioned, the free ecourse is the way to go to get the basics on getting your smoke on.

welcome. im gonna look into the coures too to see what it has to offer.

im getting ready to post my first one in a bit got pics and all. ive poped a couple of pics of stuff ive done in the past but this one is on now. this site has some awesome pics and recipies and ive only dwindled around for a week. hope to hang a hat here as well.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
cool.gif

thanks all

I bought the book before I found this forum.

Also I am outside now smoking some pork. But I seem to have trouble keeping the heat above 200 been hanging out between 180-200 but I wanted to get the temp up to 230-240. There are plenty of coals and wood not sure the issue

Remember young grasshopper, paitence is needed when doing this most awesome of hobbies, smoking that is. Have fun eat lots and b happy.

Welcome mike we are here fo ya if needed...just ask there are people here to anwser any question...

Welcome to the forum Mike. Hope the smoke and b-day party went well for ya. Looking forward to your pics!

MikeDero-20801-PICT0123.jpg
I will post the pics later it came out very nice a little different but the wife loves it. Me I am my own worse critic (spelling?)

I had the vent just a little open I was ale to get the last few hours at 225 and seeing as how the party is coming up fast I decided to pull the pork and put them in the oven at 275 for the last 2 hours.

The pork loins where done just right and I will post the reactions later as well with some more pics

I need a little advice should the vents be wide open? I had them just about closed with just a sliver open. I will try again in the morning with some fish and a whole chicken

Welcome Mike,hang outhere enuff ya wont be a newbie long.just becareful of the overload of great info here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky