Weekend plans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I'm gonna be a busy boy come Sunday. Got some supplies from the Sausage maker. Not sure what I'll try first. And I really need to do that double smoked ham that @Bearcarver posted. Downside, the ham wasn't free!

P8091259.jpg

P8101261.jpg

WOW! That's fantastic! I wish I could find a nice looking ham like that around...
Best of luck, have fun and post some pics :)

Looks like a jam packed weekend. I suggest starting small and only try 1 sausage at a time.
If you are learning you will need to figure out grinding, stuffing, fighting with castings, smoking, etc, etc. It is best to try and focus on 1 sausage type/flavor while you get the process down or else you will be killing yourself and navigating through 5 different areas to learn at once :)

Looks like a fun weekend. Haven't had the time yet to try sausage but I've let the wife know I'm going to try it soon (that got me a fairly large eye-roll.) What is that in the background of your first picture....a cordless phone? Do people still use those? :D

Looks like a jam packed weekend. I suggest starting small and only try 1 sausage at a time.
If you are learning you will need to figure out grinding, stuffing, fighting with castings, smoking, etc, etc. It is best to try and focus on 1 sausage type/flavor while you get the process down or else you will be killing yourself and navigating through 5 different areas to learn at once :)

True, I have made sausage before, brats, and they came out good. I'm only going to do 5 pounds this weekend. I'm just not decided whether it will be summer sausage. Or pepperoni. I got a very unexpected weekend off. So that'll lighten lighten the load some.

Looks like a fun weekend. Haven't had the time yet to try sausage but I've let the wife know I'm going to try it soon (that got me a fairly large eye-roll.) What is that in the background of your first picture....a cordless phone? Do people still use those? :D

Haha, yeah, we do. But only because we have relatives overseas. And Vonage is cheap!

P8101262.jpg
I decided it will be summer sausage. With 4 pounds of "London broil" With a pound of fatty pork butt.

Reactions: tallbm
The Summer Sausage is done. The taste is great. Though a touch dry. Perhaps after it sits that will improve. The ham is now in the smoker.

DSCN3724.jpg

20180812_092816_HDR_resized.jpg

SH, The ham will be tasty, IMHO I would have gone all pork back fat w/your 4 pounds of beef to make your SS less lean/dry. We still need a money shot of your sliced SS ! :)

SH, The ham will be tasty, IMHO I would have gone all pork back fat w/your 4 pounds of beef to make your SS less lean/dry. We still need a money shot of your sliced SS ! :)

I wish I could have. I have not been able to find fat back of any kind. It's not horribly dry. But it could have been better with more fat in it to be sure. The flavor is very good.

DSCN3722.JPG

Steve do the directions say to add nfdm and some kind of moisture ? I have alot of Sausage maker seasonings ( not the kits ) some say to add some dont . I add it in even if it's not called for , if I don't it comes out to dry for my taste . I have the smoked Pepperoni seasoning , and was not a fan of it . However I made some sticks with it quit awhile ago seems the longer they sit ( vac'd and frozen ) the better they are .

Steve do the directions say to add nfdm and some kind of moisture ? I have alot of Sausage maker seasonings ( not the kits ) some say to add some dont . I add it in even if it's not called for , if I don't it comes out to dry for my taste . I have the smoked Pepperoni seasoning , and was not a fan of it . However I made some sticks with it quit awhile ago seems the longer they sit ( vac'd and frozen ) the better they are .

No, it didn't say to add that. Just the seasoning pack, cure, water, and liquid smoke. How much would you add per 5 pound batch?

And here is the ham. It is almost done. Just 20 degrees to go. This will be a nice dinner. It looks much juicier then I've ever seen from a store bought ham before. The bacon will be on a BLT tomorrow!

DSCN3729.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

How much would you add per 5 pound
Alot of the recipes I look at say 1 cup of nfdm per 5lbs . I use around 1/2 of that . I measure it out , then start mixing it in until I get a sticky " clean " mix . For me it's different every time . Depends on the grind I think . I know some of the SM mixes all ready contain binders , but I add more to it .

That ham comes out fantastic , and yours looks great .

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky