Water bath, or don't do it?!?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bladeguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Central Wisconsin
Question for anyone willing to weigh in. Last time I made summer sausage, I lost a night of sleep because I forgot how long it can take......especially when putting 35 lb. in a smoker that probably shouldn't have that much in it at a time. I ended up finishing in a water bath after 14-16 hours.

Which leads me to my question, sausage turned out very good. I know the advantages of smoking for 2-5 hours and finishing in a water bath......time and a potential for a more consistent product (note I said potential, not guaranteed and this varies by each individual, smoker, etc.....some may be extremely consistent without it). So anyway, knowing the upside, what is the downside?

The one thing I can think of is that I enjoy thinking that I'm doing something the old fashioned way, however, I guess my propane smoker and Kamado Joe aren't really old fashioned, are they? Anyway, I'm open to any thoughts on the topic. Thanks for weighing in.

There isn't really a down side other than losing a little color on your casings.

It's all up to how one needs/wants to finish the cooking portion. I personally prefer to run mine the entire time in the smoker.

However, I do start and finish several of my sausages in water; chicken, boudin, and a rice based sausage that I make.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky