WARNING! Englishman starting to smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ettachef

Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
So my name is Henry and I am a chef from London, England. I am currently in Dallas, TX and have just been given a very old Brinkman Bullet aka ECB...
I will make the mods tomorrow, and need to cook Butts next week for up to 30 people. I need ideas, advise and darn good luck.
Help me out fellow smokers!
Weighs, times, cuts of butts.
CHEERS

Welcome Henry ! Glad you found us. Sounds like someone threw you off the deep end! Are you looking to make pulled pork for 30 people, or something else? We will be happy to help.

Mike

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Well Henry, looks like you're going to have to learn real fast. First off, there's only enough room on the ECB for a couple of butts at a time so you'll have to cook in stages- cook a couple, pull and let cool-put under refrigeration; next day do it all over again. When it comes time to reheat, add some beef or chicken stock to the pork, cover with aluminum foil, put into a 350° and bring up to serving temp.

Butts are the top portion of a pork shoulder and usually run 9-11 pounds per butt. The lower portion of the shoulder is the picnic shoulder and has a small part of the leg attached. Butts and picnics both make great pulled, the butt is prefered since it has one bone in it to deal with, the picnic has the reset of the shoulder blade, the joint and the leg bone to deal with. For cooking plan on 1 1/2 hour per pound if cooking at 250°-if you cook using temps lower than that, you cooking times will increase.

We could better help you if we knew who you were feeding (Adults; a mix of adults/children; hardy appetites or picky eaters), are you serving sides, if so how many. If you were just serving sandwiches only then you would need more meat per serving-the more sides you serve the less meat you need per serving.

I have smoked many pieces of meat on an ECB, that have turned out great, just cant do a big amount, I did mod's on mine and it helps. Try to get in a smoke or two before your 30 people cook. That way you will kinda know your smoker a little better and know how it cooks. 30 people is a lot to cook for on an ECB. Like Dutch said children, adults, hearty eaters ? I would go with plenty of sides maybe throw in some sausage while cooking the pork shoulders, You want everyone to get plenty. I grew up in Dallas and have a lot of friends up their. On the Pork shoulders try Sam's or Costco  We don't have a Costco here in Tyler so it's Sam's they usually have them 2 to a package about 8 - 9 lbs apiece  you should be able to get two shoulders on each rack with room for sausage, or you might can crowd 3 shoulders on each rack, 7 to 8 lb 

Anyway, good luck  and keep us posted

Gary

Welcome to the forum Henry. You are in for a treat in Texas for BBQ. Where in Texas are you?

Hey Henry

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips and questions.
First off, I bought Jeff Phillips Smoking Meats book. Read the section on the Ecb mods and carried them out succesfully. I then fired her up to season her as she is a little old and under used recently.

Yesterday, I tried my first cook. I did 3 racks of baby back ribs in yellow mustard and Rudys dry rub on charcoal (briquettes as they were free - lump charcoal for the next burn) and Apple wood chips from Lowes.

I cooked them over smoke for 2.5hrs and then just heat for a further 2.5hrs. The flavour from the smoke was glorious, not too overpowering, but deffinatley there. The outsides were barked a little, but I think they needed more. The meat started to pull back from the bones, but I think they needed an hour more.

Over all, they were good, juicy, tender and smokey. The family here liked them too (and yes they would tell me otherwise) and so that helped my confidense.

Now, next is the pork butts on the 8th March. I went to plano, Sam's club today and found the cryo packed boston butts.
For the party, we are expecting 30 moderately hungry adults and 10 kids under 6yrs old. We have suggested that guests bring sides, salads and sweets. We will also have a large gas grill for if people bring sausages, burgers or dogs.

We will be laying on buns, slaw and sauce. How many butts would you all recommend?

I am in Plano - Dallas - Texas. Yeeha.....

Expect a 35 to 40% lose of weight in cooking the butts and about 1/2 lb per serving for adult with adequate sides. And a bit less for kids.

I read a smart suggestion last week, buy the small buns, or rolls to serve. Better to come back than to waste.

I should mention I do my butts low and slow, I would assume you'd see slightly less lose using the crutch method.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky