Want to mak snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callmaker60

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I am new to the forum and smoking, I have made with some success summer sausage and trail bologna ( which I smoked too hot and fat did come out and pool under the casing).

So far I have used Lem seasoning products. After reading several post on the site, and directions on the Lem products, I am confused about finished internal temp, should it be around 155 or what Lem says 165?

We've all had a fat out or 2! Those who haven't, will. :biggrin:

Practice makes perfect, and this is the place to seek knowledge. Between all of us here, we could open a serious meat market!

Look forwRd to seeing your next batch.

Reactions: wrwoelfel
When making sausage and jerky. I like to do a step system with the heat. I start at 130° (as low as my smoker will go) for 1 hour, no smoke. Then I up the temp ten degrees and add smoke for another hour. Then I up the temp ten degrees again. I do this every hour until the smoker gets to 180° or the IT of the sausage gets to 156°. I apply smoke the entire time except that first hour. You do not want to go over 180° or as you experienced you will get fat out.

When making sausage and jerky. I like to do a step system with the heat. I start at 130° (as low as my smoker will go) for 1 hour, no smoke. Then I up the temp ten degrees and add smoke for another hour. Then I up the temp ten degrees again. I do this every hour until the smoker gets to 180° or the IT of the sausage gets to 156°. I apply smoke the entire time except that first hour. You do not want to go over 180° or as you experienced you will get fat out.

Good advice right there!

Thanks dirtsailor, your post and info, helps a great deal.  Being new I didn't want to keep asking many questions, Your post helps more than you know.

I'll post pics and give info. on my snack stick attempt.

Thanks dirtsailor, your post and info, helps a great deal.  Being new I didn't want to keep asking many questions, Your post helps more than you know.

I'll post pics and give info. on my snack stick attempt.

That's what this site is all about, learning. Ask all the questions you want. Many of us started making BBQ and sausage well before the internet, and I sure wish I had access to it back then! It took me a long time to break some really bad habits. I didn't start on this forum, but sure wish I had! Great bunch here!

Good luck and let us know,,,,also we love pictures!!! 
welcome1.gif
 from Idaho

A FULL SMOKER IS A HAPPY SMOKER

DS

WOW!!!!

I stumbled onto this site and that pic is beautiful. I have only done a family recipe of sausage. I've never done a snack stick but now I must try. I've always wanted to get into sausages and salami. But I know nothing. How can I find out how to do those? What type of casings are those? What's the recipe? What temp do you smoke to? Tell me all the tips. I think if I smoke those I will just hang them around the house to nice to eat. Lol

This may just revive my yearn to smoke again.

Thanks
Newsh

WOW!!!!

I stumbled onto this site and that pic is beautiful. I have only done a family recipe of sausage. I've never done a snack stick but now I must try. I've always wanted to get into sausages and salami. But I know nothing. How can I find out how to do those search bar at the top or just ask we will help ya,? What type of casings are those 21MM collagen casings? What's the recipepremix from a supplier like PS Seasonings, Butcher &Packer, AC Legg ect Alot to choose from our there.or you can make your own recipe  ? What temp do you smoke to
Newsh 
welcome1.gif
 from Idaho,,, You can use that search bar at the top and it will make your life simple,,,Lots of info,,

Good luck and let us know how it goes

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Well got overwhelmed busy at work then had a stroke 3 years ago. Almost didn't make it. Right side isn't working we Took me out of commission for about 3 years. Just smoked a turkey breast on thanksgiving and been thinking about doing more. Before was mainly doing brisket and butts and always wanted to try some sausage, summer sausage and this snack stick looks interesting. How long diodes it normally take to get up to temp? Not sure if I asked but u use hickory?

Newsh

Depends,, snack stick about 6-8hrs and s/s if you have a stall I have heard some of them can go 20+ hrs 

DS

driedstick:  mmm.. jalapeño?  Do you share the recipe?  I'm looking for one to mix tonight to make snack sticks out of ground beef.  My local grocery store had 80/20 ground beef on sale today, so I bought  a six pound package :)

-Sharryn

driedstick:  mmm.. jalapeño?  Do you share the recipe?  I'm looking for one to mix tonight to make snack sticks out of ground beef.  My local grocery store had 80/20 ground beef on sale today, so I bought  a six pound package :)

-Sharryn
I got it from Mitchlitch in Spokane WA.. they have some great seasonings,,comes with cure 

https://www.spokanespice.com/itemdetail.php?id=1317&secid=90   this one has a little more mexi in it I really like it 

DS 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky