• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

WalMart ribs

dacdots

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 3, 2005
We just got a super WalMart here and Im seeing there ribs for 1.88/lb as well as higher priced ones.Does anyone have any experience with these lower end ribs?

wvsmokeman

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 17, 2006
Usually the lower priced ones are frozen where as the higher priced ones are not. Thats the only difference I've noticed in the ones around here.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
David -

Sometimes it's the trimming. The cheaper ones here are not trimmed or squared off the higher priced ones are real pretty. I just buy the cheaper ones and save the extra trimmed meat for sausage.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
i get wally world pork spares weekly-i have found lately(2 yrs) good ribs but it's not the outrageous price of gas or meat(worse than the gas)- how ya cook it is just as good -i'm a vet...even water buffalo,iguana,& rattlesnake can be good - cooked right (low & slow.now i'm all about a new recipe for lamb & beef kabobs over scots traditional peat & texas mesquite smoke for something truly unique for festivals & contests.

domn8_ion

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 5, 2007
I'm guessing that the cut is the difference in price. A full untrimmed slab is often cheaper than trimmed slabs. Ie baby back or St. Louis cuts.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Hey David-I get the wally world ribs here too-in fact, I just got three slabs for next Sunday's smoke session. Haven't had any complaints about 'em except for when they are all gone!

hhersh

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 13, 2007
I use wally ribs and other of their meats as well.......no complaints . It's hard to mess up just about any meat when it's smoked lo & slo...........

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
At a $1.88a lb. i'd grab as many of those as possible, dang good price

linescum

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2006
the last time i was at waly world i bought 14 big slabs i forget the price but i know they were the cheapest i could find and for that many..i buy a good bit of meat there and at giant especially when they have 2fer's.

I'll go to my local butcher if i need a bigger peice than what they sell at walys cause by the time i get there the butcher is gone.

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
I will have to check them out do they have some good prices on butts too?

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
butts were $12-15 today here. i did get 2 10 lb. young turkeys for $7.77 ea.

zapper

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 23, 2007
So, are the frozen ribs any good? Any pointers on picking out a frozen rack? Any pointers on how best to work with/thaw these ribs. I always thought that buying frozen ribs was kind of taboo, but I sure do see a pile of them at Wally World!

wvsmokeman

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 17, 2006
I've never tried the frozen ones. Carried a pack around the last visit, walked over to the fresh ones and looked them over, noticed they looked the same except the frozen pack was cheaper and then ended up leaving with a butt.
Sometimes I just can't make up my mind.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
i'd go w/ the packer ribs (so ya can see the fat) and thats what i was after today but a slab of tyson pork ribs was 13-15 bucks & i found the young turkeys @ around 68 cents a lb. - i haven't done turk on the brink yet & now i won't get to cause we're going to labor tonight..... but i did burn some peat(as mentioned in the other posts)and i will post the pics & recipes when i get to do it later this wk. i think i'm going w/ a mutton roast(traditional),and a beef top round for that cook-soaked n guinness & the peat smoke - no spices(traditional).

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.