Walmart Applewood Smoked Pork Loin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lovespicyfood

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Have any of you tried it? I am a bit obsessed with it... Been chopping it up in chunks with BBQ sauce in a whole wheat tortilla with romaine for lunch all week.

Any tips on how to replicate? Obviously, I will use applewood. My question is do they inject the meat? There is so much flavor to it!

Yes, next to the rotisserie chicken. I should have clarified, this is the Wal Mart Neighborhood which is their grocery store. Not sure if the regular Wal Marts have it.

I love to do my own smokes, but sometimes you have to bow to the fact that some store-bought stuff is just better than you can do yourself. There is a BBQ restaurant near me that cooks (in my opinion) the best brisket in the world, so instead of doing it myself, I just drive over and place my order.

Okay, here's a recipe you could try.  Works for pork loin and tenderloin.  You could easily leave out the gravy portion and the craisens.  You could also smoke it at a lower temp if you wanted for more smoke flavoring.  Will take longer but just be sure to take it to 160-165F IT because it is injected. When I serve this to guests they rave about it starting with the first bite.  Makes phenomenal leftovers too. 

Apple Marinated Apple Wood Smoked Pork Tenderloin

I had no idea how this was going to taste.  I looked at a bunch of recipes online and concocted what follows.  Result?  FANTASTIC!!!!  Especially if you like a slightly vinegary sauce to complement the pork.

Marinade/Injection Ingredients
2 cups Apple Cider
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
4 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 cup craisens
2 Tbs kosher or sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
5 green onion and tops, chopped

Main Dish Ingredients
3 or 4 lb pork tenderloin, can be more than one piece of meat
2 Tbs Cornstarch (only use if making gravy)

Directions

1. Put all marinade ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium-low to medium heat, stirring until dissolved and well blended.  Allow to cool completely in refrigerator or with fan blowing directly over the top of the uncovered saucepan in a cold garage.

2. Put the tenderloins on a plate or in a casserole to catch the liquid then thoroughly inject the meat to the core about every half inch to an inch.

3. Place the injected tenderloins in a Ziplock bag, add the marinade, remove all the air and seal tightly.

4. Marinate overnight, up to 48 hours, in the refrigerator.

5. When the marinating period is done, fire up the smoker to 325°F using applewood chunks.

6. Put a rack in the bottom of a 9x13 disposable aluminum roaster, add the tenderloins, then pour the marinade over the meat.

7. Smoke until the internal temperature of the meat is 160-165°F.

8. Remove from the heat, cover to let it rest.

9. Optional: Pour the marinade and drippings in a sauce pan, mix cornstarch with water, add to the marinade and drippings, then bring to a boil for five to ten minutes, stirring until your gravy reaches the desired thickness.

10. Slice the meat 1/4-1/2" thick, spoon with gravy, and serve.

You can also do a slow cooker version, Add your liquid bbq sauce onions whatever veggies you like, Take it out while its still a little firm to slice or chop, let it go longer till its falling apart for pulled. We do pork butt that way sometimes

Gary

Okay, here's a recipe you could try.  Works for pork loin and tenderloin.  You could easily leave out the gravy portion and the craisens.  You could also smoke it at a lower temp if you wanted for more smoke flavoring.  Will take longer but just be sure to take it to 160-165F IT because it is injected. When I serve this to guests they rave about it starting with the first bite.  Makes phenomenal leftovers too. 

Apple Marinated Apple Wood Smoked Pork Tenderloin

I had no idea how this was going to taste.  I looked at a bunch of recipes online and concocted what follows.  Result?  FANTASTIC!!!!  Especially if you like a slightly vinegary sauce to complement the pork.

Marinade/Injection Ingredients

2 cups Apple Cider

1 cup water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed

4 tsp dried rosemary

1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 1/2 tsp dried marjoram

1/2 cup craisens

2 Tbs kosher or sea salt

1 tsp black pepper

5 green onion and tops, chopped

Main Dish Ingredients

3 or 4 lb pork tenderloin, can be more than one piece of meat

2 Tbs Cornstarch (only use if making gravy)

Directions
1. Put all marinade ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium-low to medium heat, stirring until dissolved and well blended.  Allow to cool completely in refrigerator or with fan blowing directly over the top of the uncovered saucepan in a cold garage.
2. Put the tenderloins on a plate or in a casserole to catch the liquid then thoroughly inject the meat to the core about every half inch to an inch.
3. Place the injected tenderloins in a Ziplock bag, add the marinade, remove all the air and seal tightly.
4. Marinate overnight, up to 48 hours, in the refrigerator.
5. When the marinating period is done, fire up the smoker to 325°F using applewood chunks.
6. Put a rack in the bottom of a 9x13 disposable aluminum roaster, add the tenderloins, then pour the marinade over the meat.
7. Smoke until the internal temperature of the meat is 160-165°F.
8. Remove from the heat, cover to let it rest.
9. Optional: Pour the marinade and drippings in a sauce pan, mix cornstarch with water, add to the marinade and drippings, then bring to a boil for five to ten minutes, stirring until your gravy reaches the desired thickness.
10. Slice the meat 1/4-1/2" thick, spoon with gravy, and serve.

Sounds awesome! Will put this on my "to do" list! Thank you!

Smoked a 5 lb pork loin tonight and I am happy to say, it turned out GREAT! Pretty similar to the Wal Mart pork I was trying to emulate and so simple!

Slathered it in mustard last night and put Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning on it! Wrapped it tightly in Saran wrap.

Was a bit worried I didn't have enough time tonight to finish it within a decent time so I cranked up the MES to 275 from the get go. Didn't have time to convert my apple wood chunks to chips so I used 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry. Took a little over 2 hours to reach 145 when I pulled it off and let it rest 30 minutes. Resting it went up to 149 degrees.

Cut a piece off and juice shot out of it! Very pleased with the results! Tasty and moist!

Looks perfect  I'll bet its good !

Gary

Have any of you tried it? I am a bit obsessed with it... Been chopping it up in chunks with BBQ sauce in a whole wheat tortilla with romaine for lunch all week.

Any tips on how to replicate? Obviously, I will use applewood. My question is do they inject the meat? There is so much flavor to it!

i have to agree, their ribs are just as good. If you have not tried them, I recommend. I asked a woman that cooked them if they sold the marinade or rub they used on that, and she tells me they come to the store ready to cook and had no idea. I can make a great rib, but not a dry rib this good. I hope someone has an inside track!

i have to agree, their ribs are just as good. If you have not tried them, I recommend. I asked a woman that cooked them if they sold the marinade or rub they used on that, and she tells me they come to the store ready to cook and had no idea. I can make a great rib, but not a dry rib this good. I hope someone has an inside track!

referring to Walmart neighborhood markets Apple wood smoked meats in their deli

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky