waiting for garden time

Discussion in 'Common Vegetables' started by ryaninmichigan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Well I am getting the itch to get the garden started. Even though I have 2 feet of snow covering it. The garden is about 9x15. This year I am planting the following.

Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Green onions
    Green peppers
    Yellow banana peppers
    Jalapenos
    Spanish yellow onions
    Zucchini
    Maybe potatoes.

What is everyone planting?

2. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have ten acres of worthless ground! Too much alkali to really grow anything. Certainly like beet greens though!

3. glued2it

glued2it Master of the Pit

I'm not sure if I'm going to fool with it or not this year.

Don't fertilize your potatoes but once a month. You'll have all foliage and no potatoes.

4. teeotee

teeotee Smoking Fanatic

Hey Ryan think you stole our planting list [​IMG] . Although we also do green beans.
    Like you we have about a foot of snow on our veggie garden but i still have that itch to getout there and get started.

Most people in Iowa are soooo ready for spring.

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I can't wait til warm weather gets here. [​IMG]

I brought one of my tomato plants in for the winter...
    It's doing well in my living room.[​IMG]
    I have small tomatoes on it now....I need to take another picture of them.

6. bustedluckbarbq

bustedluckbarbq Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am thinking about one this year... if so:
    green peppers
    sweet&hot banana peppers
    squash
    tomatoes
    zuccini
    cucumbers
    cherry peppers

missed this past year but had a killer garden the season before!!

7. athabaskar

athabaskar Smoking Fanatic

We keep onions out year round. About 3 weeks ago in mid Feb I put out swiss chard, arugula, and some free lettuce seeds I got. Those are all up and doing well, though a lite dusting of snow last night was a little scary. Ground was warm enough to keep the little guys from getting bit. Last Saturday, 3/1 I put out german giant radishes, danvers carrot, & frizee endive. Over the next 6 weeks or so I'll be adding mesclun, slobolt lettuce, zucchini, edamame soybeans, dragon's tongue bush beans, various heirloom tomatoes, jalapenos, sweet peppers, something called red malabar spinach (which I'm told is not really spinach), and moon & stars watermelon.
    Our asparagus got going early. We have had 2 meals with them on the side, plus plenty cut up and added to salads. It is their 4th year, so it should be really good into the end of May at least.
    Starting as early as I did this year was a gamble. I've waited until mid March to start before and still lost plants. We've had a mild winter here in North Texas, so I felt pretty confident. So far so good!

8. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

This year will be a bitter sweet one for me... I am putting up a shop right were my Garden has been.. No room for another in my litttle place... I guess the Farmers Market will get me through the year along with some friends and neighbors stock...

9. k5yac

k5yac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Yep, I'm ready to get the tomatoes and peppers in the ground too. No snow on the ground here (sorry south Tulsa.. hee hee), but last year was a disaster thanks to a late freeze and record rainfall. Hope this year will be better.

Oh, the south Tulsa thing... they got 8" of snow last night. I'm on the north side, not a flake. [​IMG]

10. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

bassman...............try using raised beds...........werks great in ground that otherwise can't support a garden..........

d88de

11. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yup dude here in AZ I use raised beds also(water thing) my well is 400 ft. deep,do container garder also-only plant maters-peppers etc-don't go overboard.

12. walking dude

too bad you wasn't back here in iowa........would be NO problem growing things................BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAH

and i don't want to EVEN hear bout i am buried in snow AGAIN...............LLOLOL

13. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

got the seed starters out i'm going to try to start my peppers from scratch this year. got hooked on them abt things so i need plenty of them this year 6 different varaities and now snow friday oh well sooner or later it'll come around

14. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm gonna have another bumper crop of rocks. Live on a freakin' sand and gravel pit. I do have a small areaa I backfilled with topsoil and grow a few 'maters and pepper plants. Hungarian med. and hot, of course :{)

15. walking dude

yeah rich........trying to locate those myself..........i can find em in seeds......but smokebuzz sez a place down by his old hometown will carry the peppers i want to make paprika

16. richtee

I hear tell a good brand of bell pepper is real close WD...

17. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

18. walking dude

19. richtee

Woah COOL! I'mma gonna order some! THANKS WD! POINTS!

20. walking dude