Vintage Fridge Brand Names

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
So I was talking with a friend of mine (who so far only owns a New Braunfels) about how cool it was to see all these old refrigerators  made into smokers here. And how some of the brand names are nostalgic and sometimes surprising, as I had no idea that so-n-so company made refrigerators.

How many can we name?

So far I have seen:

Hotpoint

Coldspot

Philco

Fridgadaire

International Harvester (!)

G.E.

Westinghouse

Norge

Are there any more?

You've named all that I have seen. But I can tell you have found that my coldspot is a sears and Roebuck brand. Coldspot was their brand before kenmore. I thought that was kind of interesting. I've tried to find out exactly what year it is but have had no such luck. 

There's usually a metal plate somewhere on them with the model # and date of manufacture. If the fridge is already torn apart, that plate may be lost.

That's too bad. I fixed my nephew's old beer fridge last year, don't remember the brand name, and that info was on the bottom, next to the compressor. We had to tip it on its side to see it; 1958, and still going strong!

crosley - shelvador (sp? ) I thought there was a recent post on here of someone turning an old one of those into something or other . We had one at work for about 30 years that was left in the building by the previous tenant . I believe it was probably from the 50's . We got rid of it because my mother got a new ref. for home and we took her old one to work and one of the guys said he'd like to have the old crosley so my dad gave it to him . It still worked but there was just tattered pieces of the door gasket and it was the type of latch on the door that if a kid got in it to play and the door closed he'd be trapped inside it . My dad was worried about giving it away for that reason but the guy didn't have kids or grandkids so my dad gave it to him .

Oh, right! I forgot all about that doorlatch issue. It was a big deal back in the 70's.

Hmm. Your fridge has one plate that says Firestone, and one that says International Harvester. I wonder if Firestone just made the rubber seals, or if this was some kind of joint venture? Interesting.

Last edited:
I have a Servel / Electrolux smoker build started now.
mail

Ronnie G.

Last edited:
Hmm. Your fridge has one plate that says Firestone, and one that says International Harvester. I wonder if Firestone just made the rubber seals, or if this was some kind of joint venture? Interesting.
There are two different fridges.  I'm making a charcoal smoker out of the Firestone.  Might do an electric one with the International.

The only Servel units I have ever seen were "absorption" systems which used ammonia based refrigerant and had no compressor. They only used a heat source (flame) to cause the refrigerant to flow. Very popular in rural America before electricity. They used gas.

Chuck

Chuck,

I will try to get some pictures up soon of it maybe you or someone on here can sell me a little about it It was completed gutted of any working parts when I acquired it.It may take me a little while as I just had my knee replaced last Thursday so not moving to good yet.
Ronnie G.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky