Victoria Day Weekend Smoketravaganza!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
So Canada has a long weekend, and we are having a little get together (15 - 20 mouths), and I have been tasked with generating vittles for the crowd.

My menu thus far looks like this:

3 x smaller (4-5 lb) picnic shoulders (for PP sammies)
1 or 2 x chicks
whatever room I have left I intended on hanging some venison sausage

The Missus is in charge of the garnish (coleslaw and assorted green stuff used to accentuate the meat
tongue.gif
Not really meant to be eaten right?)

Questions:

1. Is there any issues with mixing meat in my GOSM? (chicken / pork / venison)

2. Is there a recommended way to stack the racks? (top to bottom - chick / pork / venison?)

3. Should I stagger the meat entry timings? Or just cook till done then rest in a cooler?

4. The venison sausage I made contains no tenderquick. Would it be a better idea to BBQ them separately?

Thanks all, and if you are travelling through Central Alberta on Sunday, please stop on by, cuz the Missus thinks I'm overdoing it with the protein, but I will not be swayed...much meat will be consumed
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Oh yeah...I forgot to add...it's snowing here right now...and the forecast for the rest of the weekend??? More snow...Happy Middle of MAY!!!!!!

I don't see a problem cooking different kinds of meat at the same time in the GOSM. But you definately want chicken on the bottom for food safety reasons.As far as staggering entry times-that is up to you. Do you have enough room to do it all at once? Do you want everything to get done at the same time? The pork will benefit from a long rest in a cooler when done (at least an hour) so figure that in to your time schedule. They can stay in the cooler for longer if needed while other stuff finishes cooking. Good luck, take lots of pics!

Chicken on bottom for safety.

Beef and Pork over The leaner Game meat so the drippings add moisture and flavour to the Deer meat.

I have the luxury of having two smokers and usually do Poultry in a seperate smoker at at least 300-350f for safety reasons.

I do the others at 240f low and slow.

It snowed here at the 3500ft level where we were camped on Thursday night. Got about an inch of heavy wet snow, but was gone by noon.

Its been a cold winter and a long wet spring out here in BC this year.

I might be heading south thru Cowtown on the weekend but In a hurry and cannot stop. ( According to Mrs Gnu Bee ) going to a Comp in Trail BC
as a spectator. First time ever seeing a competition , I'm pretty stoked.

I always use the cooler due to the fact that meat doesn't follow a time table . I always start the smoke with at least a 2 hour lead time to make sure I am not holding up the meal cause the food isn't cooked on time.

Thanks for the invite though.
smile.gif
Happy Victoria day.
smile.gif

In Canada, the celebration of Victoria Day occurs every year on Monday, prior to May 25th. It is the official celebration in Canada of the birthdays of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II. Victoria Day was established as a holiday in Canada West (Now Ontario) in 1845, and became a national holiday in 1901. Before Victoria Day became a national Holiday, people had celebrated Empire Day , beginning in the 1890s as Victoria approached her Diamond jubilee in 1897.
Victoria, queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and empress of India was born on 24 May 1819. She ascended the throne after the death of her uncle George IV in 1837 when she was only 18. She ruled until her death in 1901 when her son Edward the VII became king of England.

http://www.inglewoodcarecentre.com/history/victoria.htm

oh and Chopper... read my signture line... i agree with you..lol

cant wait for the pics

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky