Vents on propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roytyson

Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Ok, now I know how to season my smoker, now I have a question on the vents. Since i assume I will regulate my heat with the burner, do I want to leave the vents wide open, closed. I assume I want to leave the exaust wide open, but what about the two near the burner.
Thanks for the help!

I like to have the option of ^^^^^^^^^so I've modified the tabs on my unit so that I can fully close the bottom vents if I need to.

Roytyson,
First off, We got similar smokers! I got mine a few weeks ago... and I love it. I leave my vents, down by the burner, about a 1/4 the way open. You want air to get to the wood box.

As for the top vent, it depends on my temp in the smoker. If i want to drop the temp I open the vent all the way. If I want to raise the temp I close the vent to about a 1/4 opening. You dont want to close that vent completely shut. You want the air to be able to circulate.

Have fun! Blza

blzafour,
Please expalin you needle valve mod and why you did it.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky