Venison Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
One of the web sites that I frequently visit (IDOS) had this Recipe posted in it's recipe page. I thought I would copy it and post it since it is Deer sesson in a lot of areas.

Recipe posted at IDOS.com by Jim Tanner:

Venison Sausage

1 1/2 lbs venison shoulder
1 lb pork butt
3/4 lb pork back fat
1/2 lb slab bacon, rind removed
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced shallots
2 tsp minced juniper berries
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly gound black pepper
1 tsp fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2 TBS brandy
3 TBS dry red wine

Medium hog casings

Cut meat and fat into 2-inch strips. In a large bowl, mix the meat, fat, and bacon with all the ingredients EXCEPT casings. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.

The next day, grind the mixture through a 1/4 inch plate. Add any juices remaining in the bowl. Knead to blend all the ingredients thoroughly. Stuff into hog casings and tie into 6 inch links. Dry the sausage, uncovered, in the refrigerator overnight before grilling or pan-frying. Will keep for 3 days in refrigerator, 2 months frozen.
Makes 4 pounds.

To bring out the earthy flavors of these tangy sausages, serve them with other wild ingredients such as wild rice, morels or other wild mushrooms, and steamed wild greens (young dandelions, mache, fiddleheads).

Brazenly plagiarized from "Hot Links and Country Flavors - Sausages in American Regional Cooking" by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly

2 feet of medium hog casings holds 1 pound of sausage

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky