Venison Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Cleaning out the freezer and found some venison from last year so I decided to make some sausage.... mixed 4 lbs venison with 1 lb beef fat, cure and some spices... smoked over apple wood... came out pretty tasty.  q-view of course...

no pics of the grinding but I went once through the fine plate, mixed with spices/cure and stuffed into 32/35 hog casings...

76cf5cc2_stuffer.jpg

all linked up and hanging in the fridge overnight...

edb904ca_hanging.jpg

made some bread while I was waiting...

e374f08b_bread.jpg

all finished

ced8ed59_done.jpg

took just under 6 hours...

e7f6346d_graph-1.gif

and here's how they look inside...

20e6b9a8_sliced.jpg

made some soup and ate it with some of that bread http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/new-orleans-corn-bisque-with-smoked-sausage/Detail.aspx

Last edited:
Looks and sounds great 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That is the Gander Mountain 15 lb stainless stuffer... bought it on sale for ~$160 a year back.  It works great... very solid construction, metal gears.  The only drawback is because it's so big it leaves maybe 8-12 ounces of stuck in the bottom of the stuffer... not a huge deal when you're doing 10 or 15 lbs but not that great when you're only doing a few pounds.  Otherwise it's been great, no complaints, have used it to stuff sausage, snack sticks, and used it to pack ground venison into those plastic bags.  I did just order the Grizzly 5 lb stuffer for smaller batches.

Great looking sausage.

Thanks for the pictures.

Craig

icon_cool.gif

Now your sausage looks awesome and that corn bisque sounds like it would be really good too. Thanks.

That is the Gander Mountain 15 lb stainless stuffer... bought it on sale for ~$160 a year back.  It works great... very solid construction, metal gears.  The only drawback is because it's so big it leaves maybe 8-12 ounces of stuck in the bottom of the stuffer... not a huge deal when you're doing 10 or 15 lbs but not that great when you're only doing a few pounds.  Otherwise it's been great, no complaints, have used it to stuff sausage, snack sticks, and used it to pack ground venison into those plastic bags.  I did just order the Grizzly 5 lb stuffer for smaller batches.
nice looking sausage. I have the 30lb stuffer and it looses 4 lbs at the end so I bought the 5lb stuffer from northrerntool to finish up

Thanks all for the kind words... still need to tweak the recipe a bit to get it just where I want but will post it once it's all set.

The graph was made in Excel... details on the smoker are here:  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/101669/first-run-using-new-smoker
I was guessing Excel.  Did you capture the data points yourself?  I was thinking you may have rigged up a sweet contraption that would collect the data from the smoker and designated probes and allow you to export to Excel......how sweet would that be?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky