Venison Salami and Thuringer

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by mulepackin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mulepackin

mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Did 25# each of venison salami and thuringer this weekend. Used 20# of venison and 5# of bacon ends and pieces per batch as I couldn't find fat anywhere. Turned out quite good despite combatting the elements. It was around -15 yest. Put in the smoker about 8:00 Sun. morn., and finally reached 155 deg. at 3:00 Mon. morn. Here is part of the meat cubed up and chilled, the coarse 3/4" grind, some of the sticks all stuffed and curing, and the smoker chugging away in the cold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mulepackin

Few more pics; the aftermath awaiting cleanup, the smoke source, the finished sticks, a few chubs vac packed, and the final product sliced. The salami is on the left and the thuringer is on the right. I used Leggs salami seasoning, and the thuringer mix comes from my local butcher and sausage supplier. I add whole peppercorns to the salami, and whole mustard seed to the thuringer. Pretty pleased with the final result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It looks perfect I use whole peppercorns and mustard seed also. [​IMG]

4. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That's some good lookin sammich makin right there!!! [​IMG]

5. street guy

street guy Newbie

Do you just use the 3/4' plate or do you re grind? Looks great!!!

6. mulepackin

I regrind. I just didn't show a pic of that. For these sausages, I use a 3/16" final plate, then mix with a mixer.

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You are the new sausage god. You have a great set up there with all the toys. I'm really new to the sausage world I have only done about 35lbs so. I see did some venison sausage ( 24lbs) soem brats, chirozo, salami and I will smoke the salami and the chirozo today. But yours looks great from here and [​IMG]you have to have some points for sure thats some beautiful stuff there Mulepackin