Venison/Pork Summer Sausage..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sam3

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Byram Twp., New Jersey
This is a recipe given to me by a friend named Pikeman95 (Kirby) on another forum.

5 lbs of ground poke and 5 lbs of ground venison.

The good stuff.

Didn't want to regrind to incorporate spices with meat, so I broke out the Kirby mixer.

Spin time.

Back into the stainless bowl to chill for a bit.

Stuffed. These are going to sit in the refrig overnight, it's getting late.

Next morning they went into the Bradley with Hickory pucks. No pics, I got busy doing other things. But ran these at 130 degrees-170 degrees and pulled them after 5 + hours. Into a hot poach bath until I hit 156 and then into the ice bath to cool to 100.
Bloom time.

After a few hours of blooming, they went into the refrig.
Here they are after two days resting. Nice and firm.

Texture is perfect. Casings came right off with no effort.

I promise I'll use my better camera next time. 
shocked.gif

Taking some of these out to my family in PA for the Bow Opener this weekend. I think they will be pleasantly surprised!
Get well soon Kirby.

Thanks for looking.

Nice job Sam..... Looks great......... Bet it wont last long...................
icon14.gif

Those look fantastic.  I too would like the recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

Aaron
Hi Aaron, it's somewhat of a doctored (or butchered
biggrin.gif
) Poli recipe.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/VenisonSummerSausage.pdf

I substituted water for the wine. I didn't like the wine taste in the first batch. I also added more Mustard seed and black pepper to my liking and eliminated the ginger and starter culture.

I also used 50 % Lean Venison and 50% ground pork butt.

I added a splash of liquid smoke too. Yea, I know.....yikes! But I probably won't the next time.

I'll send you a pm tonight.
icon14.gif

hey I was just wondering if I could get this recipie it looks really tasty and would like to try it thanks bud!!!!

hey I was just wondering if I could get this recipie it looks really tasty and would like to try it thanks bud!!!!
Recipe is right above (the link in Sam3 post) - Welcome aboard SMF enjoy - when you get a chance jump over to roll call to everyone can give you the proper welcome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky