Venison Jerky question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rambler

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
El Dorado, Kansas
Okay so I am getting ready to make some venison jerky. I have a pretty good recipe that I really like but I thought about stepping it up a notch with some black pepper. I do like good pepper jerky but I have never made any and don't know how much pepper to add. Does anyone have any good ideas? Here is what I do now;

clip_image001.gif
1lbs of meat
clip_image001.gif
1½ teaspoon hickory smoke salt
clip_image001.gif
½ teaspoon garlic salt
clip_image001.gif
½ teaspoon onion salt
clip_image001.gif
1 teaspoon tender quick
clip_image001.gif
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
clip_image001.gif
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

What I would do is use the amount called for in the recipe and in addition to that, brush the jerky with Worcestershire or something and crack some fresh black pePper (coarse) on the outside.

if you add more pepper to the marinade it may ruin it and you get A nasty black pepper taste through the meat.

If you marinate the meat, MAKE SURE TO, pat dry, brush with Worcestershire and crack fresh pepper on the meat.
Are you using TQ IF so make sure to rinse

I use 1 Tbs per 5 lbs but thats just me. I also use nitrite , marinate the meat at least 24 hours unless done under vaccum and always allow the jerky to air dry to form a pellicule (usually about a hour with good air circulation)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky