Venison Jerky - Hi Mountain (Bourbon BBQ)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oleolson

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Jamestown, ND
Got 7 1/2 lbs of deer meat sliced up tonight for jerky. I will be using the Bourbon BBQ Hi Mountain blend. Never tried that one so I hope it turns out ok. Will do the seasoning tomorrow and smoking on Thursday. No pics yet but will take some tomorrow.

Uff Da Ole, dat sounds good! Looking forward to da pics. Oh geeze!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, it adds quite a bit? Does the alcohol evaporate? cuz I'm going to give it to people that quit drinking years ago.

Hi Mountain is great stuff, you will be pleased.

don't you mean, "goot" ? haha, oh sure, you betcha
icon_smile.gif

Rum Rich, Rum
icon_frown.gif

ah Ole, is der no hope for ya? (see above)

OK, got the batch going. Put in at 4:45pm at 180 degrees in my MES. I'm only gonna smoke for an hour cuz I'm afraid of oversmoking it since this is my first batch of jerky in the smoker. Here's some before pics.
7cf1cb55_vbattach16554.jpg

734b9618_vbattach16553.jpg

Not quite done yet. Tried a couple of test pieces and don't think I put quite enough seasoning on it. I'll see when all is said and done.

Well it didn't turn out as good as I had planned. It went from being too moist to being too dry really quick. Not super dry but drier than I wanted it to be. Should've used more seasoning too. But at least it was a decent trial run. Don't get me wrong, it's edible. I'm just my worst critic. Here's the after pics.
cb452c63_vbattach16568.jpg

dba6e78e_vbattach16567.jpg

6b72c64d_vbattach16566.jpg

Yeah, timing is kinda critical. Experience will help. As soon as it gets to a "feel" of dryness, I turn off the heat and let it rest. Then usually a day on a drying rack.

Also, you cut your cross grain. Seems that may have a bearing on drying time too, as the moisture containing muscle has been opened to the air over it's whole cross-section.

Got my attention! Hi Mountain Bourbon BBQ, I like the stuff, lightly doused with a dash of actual bourbon mixed with a little of your fav bbq sauce on the meat before 'smokin' it.
Hey, it's gotta be good, it's got bourbon on it!

Is that snow I see in the second pic ?

I'm thinking, 180º is a little high for jerky, mom says between 150º & 170º is what you need and no more than a ¼ inch thick. Smoke for 1 to 3 hours depending on the wood you are using and your personal taste.
Sure wish I has some venison to smoke ... shucks!

Hope you enjoy yours!
icon_biggrin.gif

Yup, that's snow alright. We recently got an inch or so and if I remember right it snowed a little bit more that night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky