venison cured and smoked like pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingudaroad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
central texas
I was wondering if anyone has done this and what it would taste like.

I have these completely trimmed venison ham roasts. These are the large muscles of the ham with all fat and silverskin and connective tissue removed.
I was going to cure, season and smoke looking for a sandwich meat. If it was pork, it would be Canadian bacon, beef would be pastrami, I'm not sure what to call it but thinking about curing and smoking in a similar fashion to these.

Any suggestions?

I love venison pastrami.

First you turn the Venison into corned beef/venison. Then you turn the corned meat into pastrami.

You can half this but I make the brine as stated.

5 qts of Ice water
¾ cup of salt, no iodine
2/3 cup of instacure,
1 tbls garlic juice optional
1 cup powdered dextrose

If big chuncks inject with needle, then let sit 2 day-3 days for each inch of thickness in the fridge.
This turns it into corned venison.

To turn into pastrami I mix
1 tablespoon of coriander
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of black pepper. Or more.
Mix together and rub into corned meat.
Start at 130 for about an hour, then bake/smoker at 220 degrees till internal temp reads 175-180. cool at room temp for 1-2 hours, then refrigerate overnight and slice.

You can use any corned beef brine, then proceed for the pastrami part. The sausagemaker sells pre made. corned beef/venison mix.

or

Corned Venison

Brine

5 qts Ice water
¾ cup kosher salt
1/3 cup instacure no 1
½ cup powdered dextrose
½ cup pickling spice

Submerge venison in brine and refrigerate Meat not over 3†thick will cure in about 3 days(72hrs.) add 24 hrs. for each additional inch of thickness.
By injecting brine it will cut the curing time .

Discard brine
Rinse and use: To turn into Pastrami mix together
1 Tablespoon Coriander
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
[font=&quot]Rub over meat and Bake at 225 till 175 internal temp[/font]

I have used the sausage maker corned beef cure and it is great!
I did corned beef brisket for Christmas and everyone loved it
going to put a flat and a rump roast in the brine tomorrow
also a couple bonless turkey breasts, Im goint to try some turkey Pastrami
I buy it at the deli and love it so I thought I would give it a shot.
anyone here done turkey pastrami?
I will do some Qview when I make it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky