Venison cooking tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Maine
I am smoking a venison shoulder roast and have noticed some people say cook till 165 and some say 135. I am worried about the venison being tough and dry if i cook it till 165. I have brined it overnight and wrapped it in bacon. I prefer my venison medium rare but i know roasts are different. What do you guys think, 165 or 135?

I inject a marinade in mine and then put a semi hot rub, wrap it in plastic wrap overnite,( this is a hind quarter roast ) then take it out the next day and let it come to room temp until the smoker is ready, once the smoking is over I pull it once it reach's 140* then wrap it in foil for 2 hours. It comes out med rare towards the center. I'll be doing another roast next week again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky