Venison Bacon finished pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I cured a few venison loins in high mountain buck board bacon cure and they are ready to smoke.  I just wanted to get some opinions on how to best use my new A-maze-n-smoker and my MES 30.  Should I keep the heat below 100F?  Should I not use any heat at all only the A-maze-n?  Was hoping to get some feed back from guys who have experimented a bit with the A-maze-n smoker.

icon_cool.gif

First I wouldn't, don't, and never will own a amns. I would not let the meat over 100°. I have done alittle bacon in my time and I can make smoke with a single hot plate (9.99) at about 70° and it works out great for me.

Blue,

Since you're talking about Venison loins, I don't know too many people who cold smoke Canadian Bacon.

The AMNS will work great for you.

You could work for a few months with the MES chip drawer, and manage to struggle through smokes with it, like I and many others did, before they got their AMNS.

If it was me, I would do it like I told you in the PM, and take it to 160˚ internal. Then you can eat it cold, or just warm it up a bit before you eat it.

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear

Last edited:
Blue,

Since you're talking about Venison loins, I don't know too many people who cold smoke Canadian Bacon.

The AMNS will work great for you.

You could work for a few months with the MES chip drawer, and manage to struggle through smokes with it, like I and many others did, before they got their AMNS.

If it was me, I would do it like I told you in the PM, and take it to 160˚ internal. Then you can eat it cold, or just warm it up a bit before you eat it.

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear
OOOPS this is the quote I wanted!

I agree with Bear,  Get an AMNS and start using it, You won't be sorry...

As for Venison, I can't help you there, I never have it to smoke...

I cured a few venison loins in high mountain buck board bacon cure and they are ready to smoke.  I just wanted to get some opinions on how to best use my new A-maze-n-smoker and my MES 30.  Should I keep the heat below 100F?  Should I not use any heat at all only the A-maze-n?  Was hoping to get some feed back from guys who have experimented a bit with the A-maze-n smoker.

BBF

If you want to eat it right out of the fridge, I would run the internal temp up to 160° like Bear suggested.

Start at 100° on your MES and gradually increase the temp until you get to 160° internal.  Bear has a good method to ramp up the temps.

Fire up your "NEW AMNS" and smoke the entire time.
icon_cool.gif

First I wouldn't, don't, and never will own a amns. I would not let the meat over 100°. I have done alittle bacon in my time and I can make smoke with a single hot plate (9.99) at about 70° and it works out great for me.
Mark,

Venison loins are very lean, so cooking after the fact would only dry them out. 

IMHO, it should be smoked like Canadian Bacon.

It's great that you can make smoke with a $9.99 hot plate, but the guy is asking for help with a MES and the AMNS. 

I don't think it would be wise to place a hot plate in a MES.

Todd

Last edited:
BlueBambersFan,

I think I should tell you, since you are using Venison Loins, your product really won't be like any kind of Bacon. What you will end up with will be a very tasty "Smoked Venison Dried Beef"----See [[[  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/101317/smoked-venison-dried-beef  ]]]

You will want to slice that very thin. It is awesome in a sammy with American Cheese & Miracle Whip on White Bread (maybe a little horse radish). Also many people like to use it to make SOS, but I think it tastes too good cold to use it for that.

I don't really know of any kind of Bacon made from Venison, except for what they call "Venison Bacon", which is actually about a 50/50 mix of ground Venison & Pork, seasoned, including cure, and formed into foil pan loaves. Then it is smoked to about 160˚, cooled, and sliced into "Bacon-like" strips (kinda like "Sizzlean" from the old days).

If you want Bacon you will have to go with Pork, and make Belly Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, Canadian Bacon, or a couple other things like Jowl Bacon, etc, etc.

I'll PM this to you too, so I know you don't miss it.

Bear

Looks excellent Blue...i shoot at least 2 deer a year off my land and i will have to give this a try. I love the thin sliced idea Bear had ...just another reason to buy myself a good meat slicer.

Looks excellent Blue...i shoot at least 2 deer a year off my land and i will have to give this a try. I love the thin sliced idea Bear had ...just another reason to buy myself a good meat slicer.
This can be done with great success (like BlueBombersFan has), with any large enough, lean part of a deer, particularly the hind quarters & the loins.

I've been eating sammies of this stuff for about 50 years, and finally learned to make my own, not long ago.

Bear

This can be done with great success (like BlueBombersFan has), with any large enough, lean part of a deer, particularly the hind quarters & the loins.

I've been eating sammies of this stuff for about 50 years, and finally learned to make my own, not long ago.

Bear

Sorry for the thread hijack Blue ...

Bear.. when you do this are you also using  buck board seasoning? I know when i bone out the hind quarter there is a large muscle roast {rump} that weighs at least 7 lbs and i cut this into steaks. I can see this being a great candidate for this project.

Edit...found your link in post above Bear ...thanks. I'm really excited to get some fresh vennie now thanks to Blues and you.

Last edited:
Buckboard refers to "Shoulder Bacon", and not necessarily the cure

I bet it would work great on any lean cut.

TJ

Sorry for the thread hijack Blue ...

Bear.. when you do this are you also using  buck board seasoning? I know when i bone out the hind quarter there is a large muscle roast {rump} that weighs at least 7 lbs and i cut this into steaks. I can see this being a great candidate for this project.

Edit...found your link in post above Bear ...thanks. I'm really excited to get some fresh vennie now thanks to Blues and you.
I don't use Hi Mt BBB cure & seasoning, since my first BBB.

I use the same stuff I use for curing my Bacon. I didn't last time, but I would give it an extra day or two in curing time than the bacon gets.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky