Venison Backstrap Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fantastic, I've had some from a Butcher in Pa at a Sportshow  in Jersey but couldn't get  the recipe.  I concocted my own but wasn't quite the same. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow Bear, this is awesome.... If I'am fortunate enough to get a deer this fall, I know I have to give this a go ! :drool

Wow Bear, this is awesome.... If I'am fortunate enough to get a deer this fall, I know I have to give this a go !
drool.gif
You'll get one!!  I know it !!

Bear

Bear, have you noticed you need to take deer blackstrap to a higher temp than beef eye of round. Last beef I did I pulled at 155, amazing. I pulled this deer at 153, and the flavor was good, but it was a touch soft/mushy. Would taking it to a higher temp (160+ like you did) help firm it up a bit?

Bear, have you noticed you need to take deer blackstrap to a higher temp than beef eye of round. Last beef I did I pulled at 155, amazing. I pulled this deer at 153, and the flavor was good, but it was a touch soft/mushy. Would taking it to a higher temp (160+ like you did) help firm it up a bit?
Actually it's good to take Beef & Deer up to about 158*---160* IT or higher. Higher certainly doesn't hurt, within reason.

I just looked at all my Dried Beef & Venison Dried Beef smokes, and I generally pull at 158* to 160* IT, but when I check the rest of the pieces with my Thermapen, they range anywhere from 153* to 172*. 

So yes---If you have the time, go to 160* or 170* IT on your thickest piece. It certainly won't hurt, and should eliminate any pieces having soft or mushy spots.

I would do that myself, but I don't want my favorite sammies to be too dry, like with the store bought stuff.

Holding it at 160* IT could firm it up some too.

Bear

Bear,

I have the same thing working in my brine right now. I started it yesterday and by chance I was wondering if it was going to turn out ok, and then I ran across your thread today searching to see if anyone had done it this way before. I was pleased and suprised that I had prepared mine darn near exactly like you had, so I guess you guys taught me good...thanks fellah. I'll post up some pictures in about 10 days after it gets some hickory smoke.

Dexter / HT

Bear,

I have the same thing working in my brine right now. I started it yesterday and by chance I was wondering if it was going to turn out ok, and then I ran across your thread today searching to see if anyone had done it this way before. I was pleased and suprised that I had prepared mine darn near exactly like you had, so I guess you guys taught me good...thanks fellah. I'll post up some pictures in about 10 days after it gets some hickory smoke.

Dexter / HT
That's Great Dexter!!!
icon14.gif

Hit me with a PM when you Post your thread, so I don't miss it. I hate missing Great threads!!

Bear

Reactions: doubles shooter
Bearcarver, I made 10 pounds of your backstrap dried beef. There will be no more store bought if I can help it. The family loves Creamed dried beef on toast. Your recipe is the best we have ever eaten.
I thin sliced and crumbled the meat and added it to the water I used to make the country gravy mix (I took the quick easy way out). After the meat simmered for a while to pull out some of the flavor, I mixed the gravy in. OMG what a fabulous meal. Sorry no Q-views.Thank you for sharing.

Bearcarver, I made 10 pounds of your backstrap dried beef. There will be no more store bought if I can help it. The family loves Creamed dried beef on toast. Your recipe is the best we have ever eaten.
I thin sliced and crumbled the meat and added it to the water I used to make the country gravy mix (I took the quick easy way out). After the meat simmered for a while to pull out some of the flavor, I mixed the gravy in. OMG what a fabulous meal. Sorry no Q-views.Thank you for sharing.
Thank You Bob!!

I'm glad you like it !!

Now you have to try my favorite cold Sandwich:

Just lather up a couple slices of "Fresh" white or Italian bread with Miracle Whip (or Mayo if you prefer).

Then throw some Thin sliced Dried Beef in and a slice or 2 of American Cheese.

Add some Horse Radish or substitute Horse Radish Spread for the Mayo.

I used to eat two Sammies like that every day until I ran out of Dried Beef. (At work, hunting, or fishing)

And Thanks for the Point.

Bear

Reactions: doubles shooter
Bear, those Sammys were the first things I made. They were as good if not better than you said. I've got the backstraps from 5 more deer in the freezer waiting their turn.
That's Great, Bob!!

You'll be stocked up real good !!!

Bear

Blackstrap and tenderloin are in two different places. They look the same but tenderloin is smaller. BTW I tried smoking one I needed to cook, I wish I had read these posts first! I put it in my smoker at 225 for 4 hours and took it out at 2 1/2 hours due to reading a post and my internal was at 155!!! Ugh medium well :-(
Flavor was great, I had wrapped completely in bacon and sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Anyone have a recipe to use leftover done venison????

Blackstrap and tenderloin are in two different places. They look the same but tenderloin is smaller. BTW I tried smoking one I needed to cook, I wish I had read these posts first! I put it in my smoker at 225 for 4 hours and took it out at 2 1/2 hours due to reading a post and my internal was at 155!!! Ugh medium well :-(
Flavor was great, I had wrapped completely in bacon and sprinkled with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Anyone have a recipe to use leftover done venison????
Hmmmm---Never had any that well done---Is it edible if you slice it real thin & add gravy?

Maybe like a "Hot Roast Beef Sammy with Gravy"??

If not---Got a dog? They don't care if it's too well done.

Bear

Last edited:
Let's see, great qview. Super step by step instructions. Great looking dried venison. Other than that the post is just ok.

Points to the Master!

Disco

Let's see, great qview. Super step by step instructions. Great looking dried venison. Other than that the post is just ok.

Points to the Master!

Disco
Thank You Disco!!

Glad you like it !

And Thanks for the Points!!

Bear

LOL---Thanks for the kind words!!

As soon as you caught me I thought of all the times I told people to use Pork Loins, not Tenderloins for CB-----The ones that are almost 2' long & weigh about 10 pounds.

Ever since my Surgery, my thinker doesn't work right all the time. It's OK most of the time, but not all the time.

That's why I like guys keeping an eye on what I say. I hate giving wrong answers!!!

Bear
[/quote
I use the loins as you suggested. No bad reviews from me on those! I send a lot of people to your Step by steps. Everything I've done based on your recipes has been amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky