Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fired up

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 12, 2008
Indianapolis,Indiana
Here is a recipe for a super easy dessert that is an Italian classic. It is essentially Jello, but has a creamier, softer, pudding like consistency.

Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta (recipe from The Joy of Cooking)

Mix one envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) of unflavored gelatin
with 3 Tablespoons of cold water and set aside.

In a small sauce pan mix together

1 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean* (Split Lengthwise and seeds scraped, add all to the pan)

*You can substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract but do not add it until after you add the gelatin later.

Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat.

When the mixture comes to a boil remove it from the heat and take out the vanilla bean.

Stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.
Add the vanilla extract if you did not use a vanilla bean.

Pour in to lightly oiled or sprayed 4-6 oz custard cups or ramekins and refrigerate for around 4 hours. If you are not going to serve them right away after they set then press plastic wrap onto the surface of each cream to prevent a skin from forming on them. These will keep in the fridge for 3 days.

To serve simply run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a plate.

I served mine with fresh strawberries and blackberries with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction.

Here is a pic.

There are many different versions of this simple dessert that you can make.
I have made chocolate, pumpkin, raspberry, peach, etc..

I hope you guys try this out sometime. It would make a good ending to all those Italian throwdown entries you are going to be sending me :P
Thanks for looking.

Brad

Sounds good. Copied and into the to do list. Thanks for sharing.
points.gif

man that looks great there Brad. I knew you were a chef but not with the pretty food type of chef. Is that like a flan cause it sure looks like one. But thats is really great looking and I'm sure tasting too. Isn't weird how many things you put balsomic vingar reduction on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky