Value of an Insulated Firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billiam

Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Durango, CO
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find a thread that addressed it.  I am considering the purchase of a Yoder Frontiersman and among the options is an insulated firebox.  The advantages of efficiency and reduced fuel consumption I think are pretty obvious but I wonder if there is a significant difference in these with insulation as opposed to without over the course of a typical cook under typical conditions?  Is any difference more pronounced in cool/cold weather?  Am I missing some other attribute?  The cost difference isn't really of great concern as it's a pretty small consideration compared to the expense of a cooker like this but I can see at least a couple of advantages to sticking with a standard firebox -the least of which is not that the wife LOVES to hover over the toasty firebox in cold weather and I suspect an insulated box will be much less satisfying on the outside!

wife.gif

I really appreciate any insight or experience anyone can share.  Thanks!     

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky