Vac Seal for marinade?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
For doing whole muscle jerky and using a wet/damp marinade/cure mix, is there benefit to using a vacuum sealer instead of just a bowl or ziploc bag?

If so, do you use the “moist” setting on the vac sealer? Leave some room/air in the bag, rather than removing any/all air?

Most of the time I just get as much air as I can out of a zip lock bag and zip it. If it is going to be a long soak I will get all the air possible out of a vac bac and just seal it, no vaccum.

If I am not mistaken the "moist" setting automatically adjusts the amount of vacuum to leave some air in the bag.
You can also do a manual override by pressing the seal button.
When I originally bought my FoodSaver brand vac sealer, I also bought the marinade in minutes 2 Qt container.
I prefer using that instead of bags for marinating.

Reactions: Steve H
I just use a stainless mixing bowl...cover with saran wrap .. that way I can use some tongs and mix it up every once in a while... but the same can be done in a zip lock baggie... just squish/mix it around ...

I just put the meat and marinade in a large enough mason jar and vac seal it.

Thanks, Steve. Good reminder to me to use the container sealing option.

Most of the time I just get as much air as I can out of a zip lock bag and zip it. If it is going to be a long soak I will get all the air possible out of a vac bac and just seal it, no vaccum.

Thank you. Why would you just seal it, with no vacuum? Curious.

If I am not mistaken the "moist" setting automatically adjusts the amount of vacuum to leave some air in the bag.
You can also do a manual override by pressing the seal button.
When I originally bought my FoodSaver brand vac sealer, I also bought the marinade in minutes 2 Qt container.
I prefer using that instead of bags for marinating.

Thank you. I need to look into the containers.

I just use a stainless mixing bowl...cover with saran wrap .. that way I can use some tongs and mix it up every once in a while... but the same can be done in a zip lock baggie... just squish/mix it around ...

Thank you. This is my typical approach too, and was curious if the vac seal helped with anything.

I use the Foodsaver marinade containers too.
They are easy to use & they seem to impart more flavor in a quicker time.
That works for any marinade, not just for jerky.
Al

Thanks, Al. Another vote for the containers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky