VA Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertjo44

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Salem, VA
I am excited to be part of the family. I have always loved to cook and grill. I just got a Smokey Mountain Series propane smoker. My first endeavor was a 7 lb. pork shoulder which I hand pulled and topped with a littler homemade Eastern NC BBQ sauce. It was great. I do a huge spread for Superbowl every year and I am already anticipating added smoked meats to the menu. I just became of aware of Fattie's by reading some forums, so that looks interesting as well. Anyone tried Guy Fereri's (sp?) pulled pork egg rolls? I have the recipe but haven't attempted yet. Anyway, here's to the Q!!!

welcome aboard Bert,sounds like your gonna be fun-glad to have u here.

Welcome to the forum. Where in VA are you from? I went to Richmond and Norfolk last year a few times on business and got to try Pierce's Pit BBQ in Williamsburg--good stuff.

When you get around to those egg rolls make sure you post a recipe and Q-view, I'd love to give that a try.

I am is Salem Va. Pierce's BBQ in Williamsburg rocks!!! My father-in-law would live there if he could. Here is the recipe for the egg rolls. The idea is the key here. His looks great but he didn't smoke his pork and I am sure we all have our own slaw recipe. But they do sound great. You can go to foodnetwork.com and find Guys Big Bites show, it was the Far Out East Finger Foods episode. I have egg roll wrappers in the fridge that are just waiting to meat some hot oil.

Pulled Pork:
2-pound pork butt, cut into 4 pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 red onion, diced
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 bottle BBQ sauce

Cole Slaw:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bag pre-shredded coleslaw mix
1/2 red onion, halved

Egg Rolls:
4 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
3 tablespoons milk
12 egg roll wrappers
For the pork: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place in a braising pan and add the onion, vinegar, and BBQ sauce. Toss well. Braise for 3 hours, covered, until fork tender. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and "pull" with forks until shredded. Add braising liquid, to taste. Cool.

For the slaw: Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery salt, garlic salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the vegetables and mix thoroughly. Let sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

For the egg rolls: In large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees F. Add enough oil to keep the egg rolls from touching the bottom of the pan.

In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs and milk together and set aside.
With the corner of the wrappers facing you, place approximately 1/12th of the pulled pork on each wrapper. Place a dollop of coleslaw on top. Fold the corner over the filling, and then fold the outside corners in, making a roll a 4 to 5-inches wide. Roll firmly, being careful to not tear wrapper, and seal the final end with egg wash.

Dredge the roll in egg wash, allow excess to drain off, and submerge the roll in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and cut on an angle, if desired.

Welcome to the site Bert.
I make it to the Roanoke area a couple times a month. Love Salem. Is a great place to work and live.
Good luck with your smokes.

Hey Bert, Welcome to SMF from a fellow Virginian.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
This place SMOKES... LOL Plenty of information.

Welcome to the site, Bert. former VA resident here. (married a Va Beach girl and lived there many years) Wife is ready to go back actually. Pierces is pretty good. I like Beach Bully just as much, too.

Thanks for the recipe. Another on the long list to try thanks to the SMF.

I think I am about to spaz out from info overload. Fatties, ABT's, Mojo brisket. Too many delicious ideas, I can't take it. Plus I am probably going to get fired from surfing this site at work!!

2nd time around for me today. Chicken thighs (some in mojo some in bbq) and my first fatty. Hope to have Q-views tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky