Uuni-3 Pizza Oven review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey guys I'm totally new to the group :), and joined because of this thread (although I do cold smoking and hot smoking on separate units), anyway thank you all it made for some interesting reading. My Uuni 3 turned up today, I quickly got some wood pellets into it (I use GMG pellets), fired it up to see how it ran, loads of smoke which I thought wouldn't make the pizza great, I decided I need to learn how to master this thing (which is why I'm here).

Wade thanks for your work on different pellets, did you cook on the cheap ones, if so how did the food turn out? And yes the instructions are pants.

Hoping to master this thing, I love wood cooked pizzas!!

Wade thanks for your work on different pellets, did you cook on the cheap ones, if so how did the food turn out? And yes the instructions are pants.
Hi Owen. No I did not cook on all of the pellet types - there is only so much pizza that someone can eat!! 
biggrin.gif

I must say that when I cooked with the different hardwood pellets though there was not a lot of difference in flavour between pellets. I think the unit probably burns too hot and the pellets burn too efficiently for there to be much of a smoke flavour.

It generates quite a lot of smoke and soot until it is fully lit, but not significantly more than the 2s that I can discern. Some people have reported the stone being covered in soot, I certainly did not experience this during this test run. I am guessing it took about 20 minutes to get fully lit and chimney to stop smoking.
Yes, the smoke when you open the door is quite strange. It sometimes produces thin strands of black wispy smoke - almost like you get when burning plastic. It smells fine though and it does not seem to impart any unwanted smells or flavours.

I haven't got round to cooking more practice pizzas using the Uuni 3 burner. As I have to cook pizzas for guests this weekend I decided to revert back to the 2S burner because I know what I'm doing with that.

Annoyingly one of the set screws holding the burner on seized up and sheared off with my efforts to free it. Luckily I don't need the bolt hole for the 2S burner but if I ever want to attach the Uuni 3 burner again or try the gas burner when it eventually gets released I'm going to have to grind the rivnut off and replace it, which is a bit annoying. Darn!

Hi i'm assuming that if the pelets are just wood and nothing elce then they will be ok. But i am wondering if it is safe to use pine pellets?

If you look on the Uuni forum you will see that many are using standard heating pellets - which will contain pine. I have tried the Uuni with a number of different hardwood pellets and, once it is up to temperature, the type of pellets makes little difference. I have also tried it using pine pellets and, although the initial smell is like a construction site bonfire, once the Uuni is up to temperature the taste is not noticable.

~
~
~
  • The highest temperatures were reached using the Oak (676 C) whereas the Hickory only had one reading that was just over 600 C
  • \
wow! aluminum/aluminium melts at 660.3 C!! that's incredible.

the propane burner is a great upgrade, in my experience. it's a "set and forget" deal, so i can just concentrate on the pizzas. speaking of which, i just got a Metalcraft brand 8" pizza turner (amazon) for about $16 delivered. i plan to try it tonite after work. smoked mozzarella, pulled pork and homemade BBQ sauce on homemade dough. mmmmmmmm . . .

wow! aluminum/aluminium melts at 660.3 C!! that's incredible.
Yes it was a very high temperature. It even caused the high temperature sheathing to melt on one of the Type K Thermocouples that I was using with my Raytemp 28 thermometer.

Thank you Wade and everyone else for such informative posts. This thread is brilliant! I was thinking of buying my husband - who cooks a lot and loves making pizza - the Ooni 3. After reading all your posts and doing more research, I am wondering whether I should spend the extra £50 and get the new gas-powered Ooni Koda.
Can anyone tell me why this would not be the best purchase? What advantage, if any, does the pellet-powered one have?
Thanks very much

Yes it was a very high temperature. It even caused the high temperature sheathing to melt on one of the Type K Thermocouples that I was using with my Raytemp 28 thermometer.
Thank you Wade and everyone else for such informative posts. This thread is brilliant! I was thinking of buying my husband - who cooks a lot and loves making pizza - the Ooni 3. After reading all your posts and doing more research, I am wondering whether I should spend the extra £50 and get the new gas-powered Ooni Koda.
Can anyone tell me why this would not be the best purchase? What advantage, if any, does the pellet-powered one have?
Thanks very much

knowing what I know now, if I were about to buy another pizza oven, I would buy the ooni Koda. when using pellets, I had to split my attention between the heat source and the pizza. it might be that I'm not experienced enough. as many folks have said, using the pellets does not seem to add any significant wood taste. since propane is so easy to use, at least for me, I can concentrate on getting the pizza cooked correctly. one thing I noticed about pictures of the Koda is that the flame seems to go evenly all the way across the back. The flames now in my ooni 3 stay in the center. also, with the ooni 3, the gas burner in addition to the basic unit costs more than the Koda. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure some folks have and have published their reviews on the net somewhere. Good luck!

knowing what I know now, if I were about to buy another pizza oven, I would buy the ooni Koda. when using pellets, I had to split my attention between the heat source and the pizza. it might be that I'm not experienced enough. as many folks have said, using the pellets does not seem to add any significant wood taste. since propane is so easy to use, at least for me, I can concentrate on getting the pizza cooked correctly. one thing I noticed about pictures of the Koda is that the flame seems to go evenly all the way across the back. The flames now in my ooni 3 stay in the center. also, with the ooni 3, the gas burner in addition to the basic unit costs more than the Koda. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure some folks have and have published their reviews on the net somewhere. Good luck!
Thank you for your response

Thanks very much

Hello, dear. If it's still actual I'd say the gas-powered is better. Easy, simple, and I'd say the cost more than worth it. I really appreciate the portability and swiftness of Ooni Koda and I some times use it to roast snacks in it (pepper, sausages, onions, broccoli).
My brother could've told some more and better than me (caus he owns one), but I can share a nice ooni koda review that I've found some days ago. There are general review, it's features and specifications, pros and cons and some recommendations. Fast-to-read one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky