• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Using wine staves in smoker

oaksmoker93

Joined Aug 5, 2021
I have some red wine French oak barrel staves I cut to spec per the dimensions in the Gozney dome manual. I've been smoking meats with them for years and have yet to find a better wood! Has anyone else tried using wine barrel staves before? They smell amazing and impart a lovely flavor to your meats or veggies.

IMG_6149.JPG IMG_6146.JPG

TNJAKE

Smoking Guru
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Never used wine barrels but whiskey barrels are plentiful here in Tennessee. Have used my fair share and they produce delicious smoke and aroma as I'm sure the wine does also

oaksmoker93

Joined Aug 5, 2021
Never used wine barrels but whiskey barrels are plentiful here in Tennessee. Have used my fair share and they produce delicious smoke and aroma as I'm sure the wine does also
That does sound great! I'll have to try that someday. Let me know if you'd be interested in some staves! :)

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Sounds like a trade made in heaven.
Gary

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
A friend on the west coast buys oak barrels from a local winery, then breaks them down and sends them in the flat rate Priority Mail boxes. I used some to smoke the stuffed onions I posted today.

YxPBb.jpg

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
Lots of wineries in my area selling used barrels. I bought one used for red wine a while back and cut it in half. One half now stores all the cut staves I made from the other half. I use the chunks in my Cookshack-inspired fridge conversion.
If you don't think oak is hard, try running it through a table saw. Darn near wore out my blade.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
I'm thinking if you both send me a full barrel of whiskey and one of wine I can do a proper test as soon as I empty them! Then I can give you my honest opinion on which is better! What are friends for! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Lots of wineries in my area selling used barrels. I bought one used for red wine a while back and cut it in half. One half now stores all the cut staves I made from the other half. I use the chunks in my Cookshack-inspired fridge conversion.
If you don't think oak is hard, try running it through a table saw. Darn near wore out my blade.
True, and a lot of the cheaper brand winemakers hang oak staves in huge stainless steel vats of of wine.
I know Sutter Home makes their wine this way. I've got truck loads of free oak staves from them.
Free wine soaked oak wood, how can you go wrong? I love using them in my drum smoker.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.