Using UMAI Dry bags to make salumi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeysooner

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Norman, OK
Anyone have any experience using the UMAI dry bags to make salumi rather than their sausage casings?  It seems like if I formed the salumi product thick enough, I could get a really good seal on an UMAI dry steak bag rather than using the sausage casings (I would use the proper cultures etc...).  I would plan to ferment the product in the umai dry bag for the appropriate amount of time before drying.

I have a meat grinder, vacuum sealer and everything I need to make salumi except for a sausage stuffer, which I don't really intend to purchase any time soon.

My ultimate goal is to make some good hard salamis and saisson sec sausage.

Any advice? 

Thanks

I don't but how about you just create a seal at a designated width in the dry steak bag? For instance, their largest bag is 50mm for salami which is about 2 inches. Just create a second seal 2 inches away from the edge of your bag and cut out the newly formed 2 in width bag. Then tie and stuff and you would if you were making salami using their 50mm bag. 

Done :)

Let me add, Nepas makes a salami fireball thing that's pretty sweet. He uses a more square bag by the looks of it. Here's his thread. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/173815/georgia-fireball-salami

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip!  I was also thinking about shaping the sausage meat and tossing it into the freezer for a little bit to harden up some so that it will be easy to put in the bag and finish.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky