Using rib rack for smoking St. Louis style ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skfboiler

Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
I smoke St. Louis style ribs in my Charbroil grill using the 3-2-1 method and the ribs come out great. However, it is not an offset smoker. I can only fit 2 St. Louis style ribs on the grate. I put the charcoal in one half of the grill and smoke the meat indirectly on the other half. My question is if I want to use a rib rack and smoke 4 or more, can I still use this method of smoking, particularly when it comes to the second step wrapping the ribs in the foil? With the ribs inside the foil sitting vertically in the rib rack come out the same as if they were flat on the grating?

I would try it . You can always stack them on each other and rotate them every so often.
But if you seal them REALLY GOOD i don't see why it would not work. Good luck
Papa t

Thanks for your response. I think I will give it a try until I can get an offset smoker/grill to give me more cooking area.  The 3-2-1 smoking method turned out so good I'm getting more requests for ribs from other family members.  I need to cook more ribs.

Well good luck my fellow smoker . If there asking for more you know you did it wright and you cannot go wroung with smoking al 3-2-1 ribs
Papa t

When I foil, I often put them on baking sheets and stick them in the oven.  Being the ribs aren't getting any smoke during the foil phase, the oven is just fine.  This may help your space issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky