Using MES 30 Gen one in the rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ndwildbill

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Fargo, ND
I have an MES 30, gen one that I truly love.  Wanting to do a batch of ribs for the holiday family get together.  Problem is that showers/rain is forecast off and on most of the weekend.  I keep my MES on a patio, that is partially covered by a deck above...however rain drips from there...when not in use I keep it covered with 1. a Masterbuilt cover, and 2. an extra large cover that I use for my Weber Spirit gas grill...easily covers both.  Has anyone used an MES in the rain?  I was thinking of taping a piece of a large zip-lock bag over the control panel to protect it, but still be able to use it.  Any thoughts?  Am I risking damage to the MES, am I risking eleccrocution?

Don't have one but no way i'd use one in the rain...put it where it's dry if it's gonna rain.    Electronics and electricity don't do mix well with water. 

I live in a rented townhouse, so no shed, and the neighbors and landlord would pitch a fit if I fired up in the garage!
Looks like I may have to feed the fam something off the stove or oven and save the que for a dry weekend. at least dry weather wise!

I live in a rented townhouse, so no shed, and the neighbors and landlord would pitch a fit if I fired up in the garage!
Looks like I may have to feed the fam something off the stove or oven and save the que for a dry weekend. at least dry weather wise!
I feel your pain.  I dont have a solution yet either.  As of now I'm going to be hauling it back and forth over my yard with a Gorilla cart :((

You could make a quick cover using some 2x4's and plywood to keep the rain from falling directly on it. All you need is something that is slightly larger than the smoker and sits a few inches higher than it (should only be $20 in lumber). If you wanted to make something reusable you could attach the 2x4s with hinges so you could fold the cover flat for storage.

Just covering the controls isn't enough as there is a bunch of wiring in the back of the unit that shouldn't get wet. 

I'm the wimp owner of my beloved MES 30 Gen 1 so I never smoke in rainy or really cold weather. I'm a warm weather smoker/griller because I hate being uncomfortable doing either and I don't have an awning in either my front or backyards to protect my smoker or charcoal grill from the elements--and I don't like to be wet or cold. And I sure wouldn't trust plastic wrap or anything similar to protect electrical wiring and the power outlet from rain.

You could make a quick cover using some 2x4's and plywood to keep the rain from falling directly on it. All you need is something that is slightly larger than the smoker and sits a few inches higher than it (should only be $20 in lumber). If you wanted to make something reusable you could attach the 2x4s with hinges so you could fold the cover flat for storage.

Just covering the controls isn't enough as there is a bunch of wiring in the back of the unit that shouldn't get wet. 
Thanks for the idea...I'll try to put something together to do that.

Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas and cautions...much appreciated. 
drool.gif

I'm going to try to build a cover that won't get me evicted, and hope I don't electrocute myself, or blow up the MES!

We just want you to come back and show us some smoke.Stay save have a good BBQ.

Thanks Tropic. .. Unless I can put together a pretty solid rain proof shelter or cover, I won't risk the MES or me by trying to make smoke in the rain!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky