Using an extension cord witht the MES?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by dom, Jun 19, 2009.

1. dom

dom Newbie

OK, I know the manual says not to, but the cord that comes with the unit is pretty short. I would like to place the MES a little further away from the house.

Has anyone successfully used an extension cord with the MES? Was it a certain gauge?

Thanks!

2. slickrat

slickrat Smoke Blower

I've used a 12 guage 25' with mine... no problem whatsoever.

3. meatball

meatball Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ditto on Slick Rat's .. not with an MES, but with the Cookshack and Brinkman electrics I've used a 12 guage 25 footer with no issues. I don't understand why they make the cords so short if they don't want you to use an extension.

4. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

extension cords can cause a decrease in voltage. Always go with the shortest one that will get the job done and the largest gauge. 12 gauge should be fine

5. werdwolf

werdwolf Master of the Pit OTBS Member

12g 25ft no problems.

6. donnylove

donnylove Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I've used a 5-ft cord multiple times with no problem . . . not sure what gauge it is.

7. mgnorcal

mgnorcal Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Is there an amperage rating on the unit somewhere or in the manual?

I did a quick search and it looks like maybe 6.5 amps.

If so, then 25ft of 12 gauge ext. cord won't overheat or cut your power.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

8. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

I went to electrical supply house and bought 10' of 10 guage cord and heavy duty plugs for both ends . works great and have had no problems.

9. scottyaz

scottyaz Fire Starter

I have a bradley, I tried using a longer extension cord and had problems with it taking a long time getting to temp and staying there. I bought a 9' appliance extension cord and things work great now.