useing blackberry wood for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macka

Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Anyone used blackberry wood for smoking,If you have was it good,light or heavy flavor?

While I can't say for sure if he meant that or not, but Blackberry/Blueberry has been tried by some. As well as mulberry. 

If it's a harder wood, it's probably got a little stronger flavor profile than mulberry. Mulberry is light, and good with sausage, chicken, etc. 

I read on another forum, a guy tried and said it had a mild/mild-heavy flavor. He mentioned it was similar to a light "grape". 

I have domesticated blackberries and I do not allow the vines that bore fruit last year to hang around the garden.  They get cut out after harvest and burned.  We have a problem with double blossom disease and it is controlled by removing the old vines as soon as possible.  That is the reason I have never tried them in a smoke.

Al

So if you use that wood do you get email all the time you are smoking
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Alblancher,I have thornless blackberries. I just cut away last year canes,that's what I'm thinking about using.The  base of the largest canes are about 2 to 3in in diameter. When I use then I'll post the results. Thanks to all.

So, has anyone tried this yet? This post is from a few years ago. I just cut down a plant that had a lot of stray, dead canes. I would love to try them in the smoker after a little seasoning time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky