used my (Redi-Chek)ET-72 this weekend (review)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rowdyrawhide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Topeka, KS
Hey all I did my first overnight smoke (pork butt), on Saturday night, and I was able to get the OK from mama, for the purchase of a new thermo (she had a discount for bed bath and beyond).  I was able to run into town last week and get one.  I mainly bought it to use to monitor my smoker temps from beside the bed, it is about 30 feet from my smoker. It worked perfectly except I went in the basement (about 75-85 ft away and through a concrete wall) for about 30 min and at some point it lost transmission down there (not right away though), I just went back and reset them and had no other problems.  I was in the kitchen the next morning working and it worked fine with no problems, going through two walls of the house and about 60 ft from the smoker.  I did not get a chance to walk around the yard and check for unobstructed transmission, but I have no doubt that it would probably be pretty close to the advertised distance of 100 ft.  FWIW, my set has two gray units, not a gray and black unit like most pictures on the net. I will also add that the power switch is readily accessible on the back of the units

My bone in pork butt, about 9 lbs, took 14.5 hours to cook at 200 - 225, and I did foil it for the last 90 min.  It turned out pretty good overall, only had about a pound left.  If I can get the picks off of my phone,I will post a little Q-view.

Anyway I was mainly posting this thread as a review of the new thermo, and I highly recommend one.  I also can't wait to get an ET-73 as well.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have a couple of those ET-72 myself and they work pretty good to. I however have a problem with the range and I'm not moving 30-35 ft away from them and one shuts down or loses the temp reading right off the bat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky